+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 0111 or NOC 1111, ambiguity ?

cedlechauve

Dec 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

Opening again a longstanding topic : issues to chose between NOC 0111 or NOC 1111.
I widely explored this forum to find my answer : it seems it caused headaches to many applicants but I couldn't find recent updates on the topic.

I graduated 1.5years ago from a French Business School with a master degree in Business Administration (concentration in Finance). Since then i have been working in the Financial Planning and Analysis department from a private company as a Financial Analyst /Management Accountant /Cost controller/ Financial controller. (the job title name varies a lot from one company to another).

My job duties include :
- Monthly closing procedure : Review of Accounting Entries prepared by the Accounting Department, Accrual Accounting, Adjusting Entries for Management account, Preparation of Financial Statements (Profit & Loss)
- Advance Estimate with variance analysis between current year, budget and previous years. Drafting comments and analysis for Shareholders and Top management
-Various reporting : Financial Interests, Country reporting, Marketing costs, ROI analysis on some IT projects
- Cost finding analysis and Budgeting with the Product Owners
- Computing the capitalization of Intangible Assets (IT costs) and get it approved by external Auditors

So I entered the Express Entry pool with NOC 1111 and received an ITA on Dec,23. I am still not completly sure I have chosen the right NOC. My duties are equally matching NOC 0111 and 1111. So now that I have 64 days left to provide the reference letter I can still decline the invitation and reapply to the pool. Needless to say I went through the NOC description a hundred times and I know all about the described duties :eek:

I am still bothered by the wording :
NOC 1111 seems to be limited to Accounting firms ("accountants are employed by auditing and accounting firms throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.") while NOC 0111 involves all companies ("employed in financial and accounting departments in companies throughout the private sector and in government.").

Is it enough for me to chose NOC 0111 ? It doesn't seem like it. You need to be manager with several years of experience, which means a team reporting to you. That's maybe the most important criteria. My manager (Head of FP&A department) would fall in this category but I believe don't.

NOC 0111 seems to be very tricky with a lot refusal letters for not matching job duties. Found this example on the forum: one guy with 4 years as Financial Accountant + 4 years with Finance Manager Experience performing Forecasting, Cash management, Budget Preparation, Project Accounting ...

I also contacted the Employment and Social Development Canada :
"The NOC is designed to classify occupational information in the Canadian labour market in a standardized framework and a manageable, understandable and coherent system. The basic principle of classification of the NOC is that of ‘kind of work performed’. Occupations are identified and grouped primarily in terms of the work usually performed, this being determined by the tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the occupation. A job, in turn, encompasses all the tasks carried out by a particular worker to complete their duties.
When determining the NOC code for an occupation, emphasis is placed on the main duties and employment requirements. We encourage you to choose the NOC code that corresponds to the education and experience required by your employer as well as to the majority of your main duties (or those you do most of the time).
Please note that the final decision for selecting the most appropriate NOC code is each individual's responsibility as you would be best positioned to identify the education requirements as well as the skills and abilities. Our role is only to provide guidance and support in your NOC search and it is not within our mandate to confirm NOC code selections"

Not that helpful in my case.....
Anyway I believe I chose the right NOC (1111). I hope to get your point of view about my dilemna
I hope this post will help some you as this National Occupational classification can be tricky.

Thank you very much and sorry for writing a novel ;D

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
cedlechauve said:
Hi everyone,

Opening again a longstanding topic : issues to chose between NOC 0111 or NOC 1111.
I widely explored this forum to find my answer : it seems it caused headaches to many applicants but I couldn't find recent updates on the topic.

I graduated 1.5years ago from a French Business School with a master degree in Business Administration (concentration in Finance). Since then i have been working in the Financial Planning and Analysis department from a private company as a Financial Analyst /Management Accountant /Cost controller/ Financial controller. (the job title name varies a lot from one company to another).

My job duties include :
- Monthly closing procedure : Review of Accounting Entries prepared by the Accounting Department, Accrual Accounting, Adjusting Entries for Management account, Preparation of Financial Statements (Profit & Loss)
- Advance Estimate with variance analysis between current year, budget and previous years. Drafting comments and analysis for Shareholders and Top management
-Various reporting : Financial Interests, Country reporting, Marketing costs, ROI analysis on some IT projects
- Computing the capitalization of Intangible Assets (IT costs) and get it approved by external Auditors

So I entered the Express Entry pool with NOC 1111 and received an ITA on Dec,23. I am still not completly sure I have chosen the right NOC. My duties are equally matching NOC 0111 and 1111. So now that I have 64 days left to provide the reference letter I can still decline the invitation and reapply to the pool. Needless to say I went through the NOC description a hundred times and I know all about the described duties :eek:

NOC 1111 seems to be limited to Accounting firms ("accountants are employed by auditing and accounting firms throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.") while NOC 0111 involves all companies ("employed in financial and accounting departments in companies throughout the private sector and in government.").

Is it enough for me to chose NOC 0111 ? It doesn't seem like it. You need to be manager with several years of experience, which means a team reporting to you. That's maybe the most important criteria. My manager (Head of FP&A department) would fall in this category but I believe don't.

NOC 0111 seems to be very tricky with a lot refusal letters for not matching job duties. Found this example on the forum: one guy with 4 years as Financial Accountant + 4 years with Finance Manager Experience performing Forecasting, Cash management, Budget Preparation, Project Accounting ...

"The NOC is designed to classify occupational information in the Canadian labour market in a standardized framework and a manageable, understandable and coherent system. The basic principle of classification of the NOC is that of ‘kind of work performed’. Occupations are identified and grouped primarily in terms of the work usually performed, this being determined by the tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the occupation. A job, in turn, encompasses all the tasks carried out by a particular worker to complete their duties.
When determining the NOC code for an occupation, emphasis is placed on the main duties and employment requirements. We encourage you to choose the NOC code that corresponds to the education and experience required by your employer as well as to the majority of your main duties (or those you do most of the time).
Please note that the final decision for selecting the most appropriate NOC code is each individual's responsibility as you would be best positioned to identify the education requirements as well as the skills and abilities. Our role is only to provide guidance and support in your NOC search and it is not within our mandate to confirm NOC code selections"

Anyway I believe I chose the right NOC (1111). I hope to get your point of view about my dilemna
I hope this post will help some you as this National Occupational classification can be tricky.

If you can, talk to your HR/supervisor to prepare a reference letter that matches with the NOC you have chosen. It is a good fit for your stated skills. You don't need to match the NOC website stated responsibilities exactly as 80% to 90% match is sufficient. My wife used NOC 1111 and she has never worked in an accounting firm. She has worked in banks and in an investment/finance house and she was successful with her PR application. Every thing boils down to aligning your reference letter to your chosen NOC, cheers.

cedlechauve

Dec 20, 2016
Thanks !!!
Good to get some feedback as it is a scary step !!
I'll go for 1111. That's anyway my only option and closest match right now. Cheers :)

utsav1706

Star Member
Oct 8, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
26-03-2017
File Transfer...
26-06-2017
Med's Done....
26-05-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Pipis Husband said:
If you can, talk to your HR/supervisor to prepare a reference letter that matches with the NOC you have chosen. It is a good fit for your stated skills. You don't need to match the NOC website stated responsibilities exactly as 80% to 90% match is sufficient. My wife used NOC 1111 and she has never worked in an accounting firm. She has worked in banks and in an investment/finance house and she was successful with her PR application. Every thing boils down to aligning your reference letter to your chosen NOC, cheers.
Hi Pipis - My wife is the primary applicant and falls under NOC 1111 with 3+ years of work ex. But recently she moved to a different job profile which is more suitable for 0111. Should she show 1111 or 0111? Also is it necessary to give reference letter of current job as that could be difficult. Thanks for your views.

Pipis Husband

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2015
LANDED..........
06-06-2015
utsav1706 said:
Hi Pipis - My wife is the primary applicant and falls under NOC 1111 with 3+ years of work ex. But recently she moved to a different job profile which is more suitable for 0111. Should she show 1111 or 0111? If she is not up to one year in the new role, she can't use that though she can indicate it. You need at least one year experience in a NOC to qualify for EE Also is it necessary to give reference letter of current job as that could be difficult. Thanks for your views. To receive points for her experience in that job, she must provide the reference letter and employment letter or it will not be counted in her favor
Hi, see above.

Rocky127

May 18, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is my 2 cents on this:

I have been an accounting manager for 5 years now but i still opted for 1111 as my job duties match with it

I do have a team but mostly I am working myself
My point is if you are confident that your job profile matches with 1111...Just go ahead

I can explain this to my case officer if required.
(All about confidence and truth)

Krishnapatel3

Mar 22, 2017
Hi everyone,

My job duties include :

Are you successful with PR yet?

Saira_hussain

Jun 19, 2016
Hi,

I am applying for express entry, I need help determining my NOC code,
MY DEGREE : MBA - majors in Finance & Accounting
MY JOB TITLE : Tax Accountant/ Accountant
Work Experience : 4+ Year in CPA firm
Job duties matches with NOC 1111 but i don't have Chartered accountancy certificate/degree.
can anyone help me if i can proceed with NOC 1111 without CPA/CGA?

Thanks

Chetan23

Aug 31, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I am a team leader in investment bank with total 10 years of experience, currently handing a team 15 persons. Should I go with NOC 0111 which is for managerial role as per my understanding or should I opt for NOC 1111. I have not seen any openings in NOC 0111 for last two yaers. Please advise

Thanks
Chetan

harmansodhi

Apr 27, 2019
Hi,

I am applying for express entry, I need help determining my NOC code,
MY DEGREE : MBA - majors in Finance & Accounting
MY JOB TITLE : Tax Accountant/ Accountant
Work Experience : 4+ Year in CPA firm
Job duties matches with NOC 1111 but i don't have Chartered accountancy certificate/degree.
can anyone help me if i can proceed with NOC 1111 without CPA/CGA?

Thanks
hey dear..... i want to enquire about ur noc code in which u have applied... as i am lying in same position as u were in past.

wmsimon

Jun 14, 2020
Category........
FSW
I'm having a similar question as FP&A. Although my job title is Sr Financial Analyst, the description under 1112 looks more related to investment analysis. So I'm wondering if I should use 1111 instead? What is interesting is 0111 actually best matches my job duty but I'm not a manager!

TimTam33

Jun 16, 2020
I'm having a similar question as FP&A. Although my job title is Sr Financial Analyst, the description under 1112 looks more related to investment analysis. So I'm wondering if I should use 1111 instead? What is interesting is 0111 actually best matches my job duty but I'm not a manager!
I am in the same boat and have no idea what to do. Please, any advice and help is much appreciated! Thank you.

vikramjeetsaini

Sep 1, 2019
I am in the same boat and have no idea what to do. Please, any advice and help is much appreciated! Thank you.
BRO I APPLIED FOR WP IN NOC 1111 - ACCOUNTANT , MY JOB DUTIES ARE 100% MATCHING WITH MY LMIA LETTER AND JOB OFFER LETTER BUT I DONT KNOW WHY MY FILE REFUSED AND THEY HAVE GIVEN THE REASON THAT I WAS NOT ABLE TO DEMONSTRATE THAT I CAN DO JOB DUTIES OF ACCOUNTANT, MAY BE I DOUBT THAT THEY NEED ANY CA, CPA ,CGA DEGREE . WHEREAS I HAVE WES APPROVED BCOM AND MBA IN FINANCE DEGREE

I DONT KNOW WHAT IS THE REASON

vikramjeetsaini

Sep 1, 2019
BRO I APPLIED FOR WP IN NOC 1111 - ACCOUNTANT , MY JOB DUTIES ARE 100% MATCHING WITH MY LMIA LETTER AND JOB OFFER LETTER BUT I DONT KNOW WHY MY FILE REFUSED AND THEY HAVE GIVEN THE REASON THAT I WAS NOT ABLE TO DEMONSTRATE THAT I CAN DO JOB DUTIES OF ACCOUNTANT, MAY BE I DOUBT THAT THEY NEED ANY CA, CPA ,CGA DEGREE . WHEREAS I HAVE WES APPROVED BCOM AND MBA IN FINANCE DEGREE

I DONT KNOW WHAT IS THE REASON

BEING SK

Dec 24, 2021
can we apply in pnp under noc 1111 as this occupation is regulated so we need licence to work under this occupation?