+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No work no pay?

aray

Apr 22, 2015
I'm a new live- in caregiver here in Calgary,my employer told me that they will have a vacation for 5 days in other country..They asked what is my plan,I told them,I'll just stay home..then they said I won't have a salary in the days that they are away from home because I'm not working and it is really true that if I get sick I won't have salary for period of days that I'm sick?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aray said:
I'm a new live- in caregiver here in Calgary,my employer told me that they will have a vacation for 5 days in other country..They asked what is my plan,I told them,I'll just stay home..then they said I won't have a salary in the days that they are away from home because I'm not working and it is really true that if I get sick I won't have salary for period of days that I'm sick?
You should contact the labour board of your province to find out. In many provinces, an employer can tell you that your services are not needed for the moment and in that case, you are off without pay until they ask you to work again. Same with short work weeks if things are slow. You generally don't get paid unless you work.

Sick days in Canada are generally not paid but if you are sick for more than 2 weeks, you can register for employment insurance sick benefits.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ayokunlex02 said:
thats serious
That is the way the system works. Some jobs may have a number of sick days / personal days that you can get off with pay but normally these are higher jobs. You'd have to have a very nice boss to give you that as a live-in-caregiver because they are not required to. The only exception is if you get injured at work in which case workmens comp will pay your wages.

In most provinces there is probably a limit on how fast your employer can send you home without pay if there is nothing to do and how long that can last. Being sent home for a week is nothing. In Alberta, they can send you home for up to 59 days. In Manitoba it's 56 (8 weeks).

annai

Apr 12, 2016
That depends on the employer contract i believe. I'm not really sure. Waiting for experts' comments.