+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No update from IRCC on citizenship test. Next steps?

CitizenSoon

Sep 19, 2018
A few years ago, a friend who has an eyesight issue, attended the citizenship test. It was one on one. The judge/ officer read the questions to her, she answered and the judge/ officer wrote down the answers.
IRCC is doing virtual oath for applicants, who passed the test.
I hope that the IRCC would follow a similar approach. IRCC may start a virtual citizenship test.

duckduckgoose

Star Member
Jul 4, 2020
A few years ago, a friend who has an eyesight issue, attended the citizenship test. It was one on one. The judge/ officer read the questions to her, she answered and the judge/ officer wrote down the answers.
IRCC is doing virtual oath for applicants, who passed the test.
I hope that the IRCC would follow a similar approach. IRCC may start a virtual citizenship test.
Send an email to your local MP and recommend this approach to them. TBH I went to the dentist this week, and even gyms have opened. Most offices have allowed some employees to return to the office. There is no reason the tests can't take place in person if everyone sanitizes their hands, wears a mask (unless unable to), distancing in place (even if testing is reduced to half or 1/3 capacity) and the tests are collected by an agent with gloves/mask and entered into an electronic system (I heard its multiple choice so you could even use those MC machines to calculate the results).

Last edited:
Reactions: CitizenSoon

Aa. Arv

Jul 5, 2020
There is no intention to do this, if they have the will they can start the tests. Even about oath ceremony, it is so, so slow, Australia reported last week 76000 on line ceremony they have done until now, compared to Canada they have reported only 1000 on line ceromoy has been taken place until now. Australia is 76 times faster than Canada

EUK

Feb 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no intention to do this, if they have the will they can start the tests. Even about oath ceremony, it is so, so slow, Australia reported last week 76000 on line ceremony they have done until now, compared to Canada they have reported only 1000 on line ceromoy has been taken place until now. Australia is 76 times faster than Canada
76000? Can you please share the source..

Aa. Arv

Jul 5, 2020
76000? Can you please share the source..
Google this : "Australian citizenship ceremonies to go a head via video link during Corona virus"
Up to 750 people oath ceremony per day.
My friend read in newspaper 76000 virtual oat ceremonies have been taken place in Australia until now. 750 virtual oath ceromnies per day are equivalent to 75000 during the last 4 months

duckduckgoose

Star Member
Jul 4, 2020
Google this : "Australian citizenship ceremonies to go a head via video link during Corona virus"
Up to 750 people oath ceremony per day.
My friend read in newspaper 76000 virtual oat ceremonies have been taken place in Australia until now. 750 virtual oath ceromnies per day are equivalent to 75000 during the last 4 months
Wow amazing that they got online during March. It took Canada until June to even begin any online ceremonies. Wondering how long testing will be then. Slow as molasses.

Wash an

Oct 20, 2013
Ontario now allowing 50 people to be present indoors. Tests can start now. Ontario accounts for around 45% of Citizenship applications. GTA not included yet.

Last edited:

Suh1756

Star Member
Mar 5, 2017
Ontario now allowing 50 people to be present indoors. Tests can start now. Ontario accounts for around 45% of Citizenship applications. GTA not included yet.
Right, but still with physical distancing in place. Not sure if IRCC can accommodate 50 people at the test venue with distancing measure. If not 50, hopefully they will at-least start with 30.

Last edited:

CitizenSoon

Sep 19, 2018
Something interesting. Watch the video and go over the Phase I, II, III and IV pertaining to Citizenship ceremonies and tests. I'm assuming, Phase I is done and Phase II is ongoing (in-process started since June 2020).

https://www.rebelnews.com/trudeau_liberals_plan_to_use_zoom_for_online_citizenship

Same info is available in PDF here. Citizenship Virtual Ceremonies and Tests

Source: www.rebelnews.com

Source: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/no-update-from-ircc-on-citizenship-oath-ceremony-next-steps.682067/post-8719636