+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No traditional ritual for spousal sponsorship

gizman

Aug 27, 2017
Hello folks! I (Canadian citizen) just want to mention my whole situation here just so the folks reading this have the whole context. I met a girl in my last visit to India (February) through a family friend with the intention of marriage (arranged marriage). We went on a few dates and then I came back to Canada In March. We have kept talking on phone and we finally have decided to get married. Now my dad is suffering from ALS and because of that I haven't been able to travel back to India since and I also don't want to do a big/traditional ceremony for our wedding right now. We prefer to get married in the court right now and perform the rituals and the whole celebration once my family is not in so much stress due to my dads situation. If we just get married in court, would that look bad on our application? I really don't want to have our application be rejected and if that's what it means I'm willing to spend the money and have a marriage like that right now but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Also since my wife has applied to a visitor visa already, do you know if there are better chances for our case if she comes here and we get married here and apply. I feel like this would be a stronger case since she would be living here with me (which is not possible in India because I can't leave my dad here), we would be able to open joint accounts etc.

Here is the thread where it is mentioned it's important to have a traditional wedding for a country like India.