+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No Surname on Passport. Is it a problem in getting PR

vikas01

Star Member
May 23, 2017
Hi There,

I have applied for PR under the express entry programme. I heard that applicant with only First name face problem in getting PR or Citizenship.

Is it true?

Please share your personal experience if anyone has the same case as me.

Thanks in advance

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hi There,

I have applied for PR under the express entry programme. I heard that applicant with only First name face problem in getting PR or Citizenship.

Is it true?

Thanks in advance
I don’t think many people here would have that experience.... maybe you can check with Madonna or Cher, or Drake..

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
Hi There,

Is it true?

Thanks in advance
No there is no problem. My wife had the same issue. Its very common in India to have no surname and they know about it.

Only thing is when you get Immigrant visa and PR card, you will have same first name and last name. First Name: Vikas Last Name: Vikas. So when you immigrate to Canada your official name will be Vikas Vikas.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
No there is no problem. My wife had the same issue. Its very common in India to have no surname and they know about it.

Only thing is when you get Immigrant visa and PR card, you will have same first name and last name. First Name: Vikas Last Name: Vikas. So when you immigrate to Canada your official name will be Vikas Vikas.
If this doesn't match the official name on the passport, is that gonna be a problem? I mean Vikas and Vikas Vikas are two diference names...

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
If this doesn't match the official name on the passport, is that gonna be a problem? I mean Vikas and Vikas Vikas are two diference names...
Don't worry, there will be no problems. Its a very common thing. My wife had exactly the same thing. I know so many people with this issue. No one ever had a problem. One of my friend's mother immigrated 20 years ago, and they did a funny thing with her name. She had her first name as Satyavati which is a very common Indian name. There is no last name. So they changed her name as First Name: Satya and Last name: Vati. So her official name in Canada is Satya Vati. She never bothered to have it changed. She had absolutely no problem with travelling or any other issue. They can break your name in whichever way they like because they need a surname.:)

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Don't worry, there will be no problems. Its a very common thing. My wife had exactly the same thing. I know so many people with this issue. No one ever had a problem. One of my friend's mother immigrated 20 years ago, and they did a funny thing with her name. She had her first name as Satyavati which is a very common Indian name. There is no last name. So they changed her name as First Name: Satya and Last name: Vati. So her official name in Canada is Satya Vati. She never bothered to have it changed. She had absolutely no problem with travelling or any other issue. They can break your name in whichever way they like because they need a surname.:)
Interesting. They found a way to get around the system. Thanks for letting me know!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. No, not quite right. If you only have one name, then that is in the Surname field and the given name field is left blank. Your PR card and citizenship certificate will then only have one name.

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
Hi

1. No, not quite right. If you only have one name, then that is in the Surname field and the given name field is left blank. Your PR card and citizenship certificate will then only have one name.
No, there is lot of variation in this. In my wife's case they made it same first and last name. And in the above case that I mentioned, they broke the name into two.