+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No study permit for less than 6 months?

estinnis

Jul 17, 2013
My girlfriend is coming to Canada for a few months to take a certificate course in Business. CIC's website says that you only need a study permit for full time studies that last for more than 6 months. The course that she is enrolled in is only once per week, and lasts for only 3 months. I've been told that it might be risky telling an immigration officer at the border that she plans on studying, even though she doesn't have a study permit. Should we tell them that she is just visiting? Or should we say exactly what is happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
You might try CIC's online questionnaire. I whizzed through until I reached a screen that said this:

"If your current study program lasts for 6 months or less, but you wish to continue your studies after completing this program, you'll need to apply for a study permit.
Do you want to apply for a study permit?"

Can't help you with what's "risky" to say at the border.

Liluu3

Jul 15, 2013
estinnis said:
My girlfriend is coming to Canada for a few months to take a certificate course in Business. CIC's website says that you only need a study permit for full time studies that last for more than 6 months. The course that she is enrolled in is only once per week, and lasts for only 3 months. I've been told that it might be risky telling an immigration officer at the border that she plans on studying, even though she doesn't have a study permit. Should we tell them that she is just visiting? Or should we say exactly what is happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
I'm going to Toronto as an Exchange student. I hold Russian citizenship and my stuies last only 4 months. So the only document I needed is TRV with a permission to study. Not an autonom study permit.
If your girlfriend is a US/EU citizen she doesn't need any type of visa, but a confirmational letter from the school which she can show to the officer on th passport control.
If not, apply for TRV online and follow the instructions. :)
:D