+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No points in PR for online courses due to Covid 19

vik7

Feb 9, 2020
IRCC handle is correct. You will not get any extra points for courses completed online. However, the impact has been nullified due to the current trend of CEC draws which have seen rock bottom CRS scores.

Reactions: wonderbly

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
IRCC handle is correct. You will not get any extra points for courses completed online. However, the impact has been nullified due to the current trend of CEC draws which have seen rock bottom CRS scores.
Exactly. I feel bad for those that are caught in this and I think IRCC could have allowed the points just the way they are allowing PGWP. However, the rule applies as at today. The CIC's CRS Tool (updated in January 2021) clearly indicates that you need to complete 50% or more of your studies in canada as well as be present in canada for at least 8 months to quality.

4b) Have you earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate?
Note: to answer yes:

• English or French as a Second Language must not have made up more than half your study
  • you must not have studied under an award that required you to return to your home country after graduation to apply your skills and knowledge
  • you must have studied at a school within Canada (foreign campuses don't count)
  • you had to be enrolled full time for at least eight months, and have been physically present in Canada for at least eight months

link to the tool: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

kat_dog

Star Member
May 27, 2021
You just created more confusion..

@wonderbly @Catmom @Naturgrl @tapperb @tiger007 @Simba112 Can you confirm if the rule is the same right now?

If I have a 2 year course starting September 2021, I need to complete at least 50% in Canada and the duration of the 50% done in Canada must be >8 months for me to receive CRS points for my Canadian education. Correct?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
You just created more confusion..

@wonderbly @Catmom @Naturgrl @tapperb @tiger007 @Simba112 Can you confirm if the rule is the same right now?

If I have a 2 year course starting September 2021, I need to complete at least 50% in Canada and the duration of the 50% done in Canada must be >8 months for me to receive CRS points for my Canadian education. Correct?

Yes, correct.

vik7

Feb 9, 2020
Also I would like to add for the benefit of all, students must consider the PGWP eligibility as well. Check out the line in red bold:

How much of your studies count toward a PGWP
You can complete 100% of your studies online from outside Canada.

All your time studying online outside Canada between spring 2020 and December 31, 2021, counts toward the length of a PGWP. This applies even if you’re completing 2 study programs.

If you’re completing 2 study programs, you can finish 100% of your studies online if the programs were ongoing or started between March 2020 and fall 2021, and

The following time won’t count toward the length of a PGWP:

• time spent studying outside Canada after December 31, 2021
  • time spent studying before you applied for a study permit
Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students.html#pgwp-eligibility

So if you are planning to do a 16 month course starting September 2021 and plan on spending say 7 months online from own country and 9 months in Canada, all the period after December 31 2021 will not count towards length of your PGWP work permit.

Vishal100

Star Member
Jun 7, 2016
Hi All

My friend and I have a petition on Change.org. The link below, please read the petition and sign --- > support us.

A petition is Supporting - Claiming Express Entry Points for Canadian Education obtained during COVID.

https://chng.it/gFBv6WJPqw

I also request other members here to support me because if a certain number of the petition are not signed, the petition will be removed automatically.

Thank you,

Vishal

Reactions: vik7

sufjans

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Hello everyone, reviving this old thread with a happy update. I got my PR today. I did one 8-month certificate program and got points for it. The program was more than 50% online, though I was in Canada for the entire duration.

Reactions: Mjk43891