+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No letter for tourists (Thailand)?

petermare

May 6, 2012
My wife is coming for a visit for 2 months and the website of where she is applying states this:

"LETTER OF INVITATION: All applicants traveling to Canada for business, observation, or for training, must submit an invitation letter from Canada."

She is not going to do any business, observation, or training! So, I am assuming she does not need a letter! Right? Thank you!

petermare

May 6, 2012
Okay! I checked the French "translation" on the website and they add the word "egalement/also" which changes everything.

I have emailed the embassy just to confirm, but I think ones MUST not matter what. I will confirm IF they respond to the email message, that is! :)

Incidentally, the Canadian websites indicate that SOMETIMES one must write a letter of invitation. I suppose if you come from Europe, it might not be needed. If you come from a 3rd world country, you must! :)

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Try the following website geared to tourist visitors rather than business ones....hope it helps. Read everything you can find about applying for a TRV before you apply. Make sure you nail the "ties to home country"!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.asp

petermare

May 6, 2012
Thanks very much!

Apparently, a friend of a friend was refused when a letter was nto produced, but accepted when he did!

She has ties: a car that has a loan of 5 years to which she has been paying 3! She has a long-term rental lease. She has a boss vouching for her with a letter asking her to come back,.... and she has many pictures of her meeting her family and friends. I think this should be a slam dunk. BTW, I emailed the minister asking them to stop the stupid "translation" idea and accepting a notarized summaries of the copies. In other words, why would a translation offer more certainty that a copy is legitimate? Do they really need to know that the car is blue? ;D

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Actually, I doubt that a car would have any ability to prove ties to home. I've even heard them say "people can walk away from property and a house and have money transferred". Makes you wonder how ANYONE can get a visa?? Good Luck with your project.

petermare

May 6, 2012
Mmmm! Well! True! Anything can happen! Anyone can walk away from something! What matters though --as far they are concerned-- is the probability that this will take place! What is the probability that this person will walk away considering she has:

1) a well-paying job
2) a car
3) family there
4) a 2 way-plane ticket
5) long-term rental
6) enough money to cover most eventualities here
7) a travel insurance for 2 months

From my part, I am trying to sell my condo (can be ascertained) and we have accounts and joint accounts there. We both have no criminal records.

One would have to be a door-knob or paranoid to the extreme to refuse this.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
petermare said:
My wife is coming for a visit for 2 months and the website of where she is applying states this:

"LETTER OF INVITATION: All applicants traveling to Canada for business, observation, or for training, must submit an invitation letter from Canada."

She is not going to do any business, observation, or training! So, I am assuming she does not need a letter! Right? Thank you!
Take a look at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/invitation-letter-critique-svp-t42694.0.html for inspiration o the invitation letter :)

petermare

May 6, 2012
AHAHAH! How dramatic with the very personal --if not fake-- nature of the letter! :) I mean it probably does the trick! There is nothing wrong with it, of course, but one knows that the "yous" and the "love yous" are all fake (since everyone knows that this is for the custom officer)! I have written my letter to the custom officer, not my wife, even though I know --technically-- I should because that is supposed to be a letter of invitation for her, but we know it is for them! WHat a stupid process! I wish this was less contrived!

Thanks for the link though! Thanks very much!

petermare

May 6, 2012
Sure will! (I had a Canadian immigration friend look at it and she said it looked okay, but she cannot guarantee anything, of course! We all know it is more or less a crap-shoot: whether or not the officer had a good time the night before or something like that! :)

steveee

May 8, 2010
Thailand
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Too bad those immigration b#$%#$ officers are jealous too that they probably will never get a chance to go to Canada :(

I am also applying from Thailand but my wife has very little ties, wish me luck!

petermare

May 6, 2012
Ya! The rich women in Thailand --as usual-- get all the breaks, since they usually have government or official positions that pretty well seals the deal, along with credit cards that most can't even qualify for (for the same reason). Life is soooo tough when one is rich! Makes you sick, doesn't it!

Ya! Good luck! I will keep you guys posted!

petermare

May 6, 2012
Is it better to go in person to the embassy to deliver the papers by hand or to send them by registered mail? My wife will have to travel 10 hours to get to the embassy (and stay 5 days to wait for the outcome, I believe).

This would be her first request!