+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

no last name in passport

Saahi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2014
I was going to apply for mycic account online, but it asked for last name. In my passport , I have only given name but no last name. I am unable to fill any form.
Please guide , what should be done now.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Saahi said:
I was going to apply for mycic account online, but it asked for last name. In my passport , I have only given name but no last name. I am unable to fill any form.
Please guide , what should be done now.
Put your given name in the last name box.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what about in future? let's say he want to get SIN number, OCWP or drivers license in canada, AFAIK they only copy what is written in the passport.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hell911 said:
what about in future? let's say he want to get SIN number, OCWP or drivers license in canada, AFAIK they only copy what is written in the passport.
It is not usual in some countries to only have 1 name, Indonesia is an example. Is document will be issued in just his given name as a surname.

"What do you mean by surname?

Your surname is your family name. It is sometimes called your “last name.” If your name is spelled differently on your official documents, please write your name as shown in your passport. When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document or any letters you got from the visa office or case processing centre where you sent your application (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

If you do not have a surname on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field, write “not applicable” or “N/A” in the given name field."

Saahi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2014
Thanks for reply guyz, I am from Chandigarh
I got it confirmed, that I should write given name in last name option. And leave given name blank. I am good to go for visa application.
But will it cause any problem in future in Canada. The whole process of name changing is time consuming and my degree is commencing from January, so I can not take this risk.
Will be it ok to pursue all the future application like this

Saahi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2014
On my passport given name- Mantaran singh
Last name- blank
So in future applications in Canada, Mantaran singh will be used as mynlast name. Is that so

sikanderv

Star Member
Jun 5, 2011
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
Hyderabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2014
IELTS Request
8 overall (R9 L8.5 S7.5 W7)
File Transfer...
25-07-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-06-2014
Passport Req..
With application
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
Yet to decide
Saahi said:
On my passport given name- Mantaran singh
Last name- blank
So in future applications in Canada, Mantaran singh will be used as mynlast name. Is that so
A friend of mine had a similar problem (no last name in his passport) but he went to Australia for his studies and came back, then changed his name in the passport. He was detained for 30-40 mins at the PoE in Australia, though, but was allowed to enter and study in Australia.

salman.andani

Nov 13, 2014
PMM said:
Hi

It is not usual in some countries to only have 1 name, Indonesia is an example. Is document will be issued in just his given name as a surname.

"What do you mean by surname?

Your surname is your family name. It is sometimes called your “last name.” If your name is spelled differently on your official documents, please write your name as shown in your passport. When filling out applications, type your surname as it appears on your passport, travel or identity document or any letters you got from the visa office or case processing centre where you sent your application (even if the name is misspelled). Do not use initials.

If you do not have a surname on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field, write “not applicable” or “N/A” in the given name field."

Dear I want apply for the immigration of Canada visa for my mother, for that i have applied for passport and recently we have got the passport but there is one problem
in surname they have mentioned the given name and the given name is blank

Incorrect: (As passport issued)

Surname: Doulat
Given Name: Blank
Husband name: Ramzan Ali

Correct:

Surname: Ramzan Ali
Given name: Doulat
Husband name: Ramzan Ali

Should we apply for correction or it is not a big issue for travel and visa

please reply asap as it is very urgent

Thanks
Salman

vaibkv

Sep 5, 2014
Saahi said:
Thanks for reply guyz, I am from Chandigarh
I got it confirmed, that I should write given name in last name option. And leave given name blank. I am good to go for visa application.
But will it cause any problem in future in Canada. The whole process of name changing is time consuming and my degree is commencing from January, so I can not take this risk.
Will be it ok to pursue all the future application like this
So, what did you end up doing? I did the same. Gave full name in Last Name only.