+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No interviews so far, could someone help me out?

sharky84

Jul 30, 2012
Hi all,

I moved to Vancouver last year.
I have over 10 years of experience in hospitality and bartending (lived and worked my whole life in Switzerland). I also have diploma's in those fields. And still, I don't get any interviews. I'm curious if my resume isn't that good?
Could someone take a look at my resume and give me some feedback? I don't know what else it could be the reason because most of the restaurants I visited have staff who not exactly know what they're doing.

Im not picky at all.. I'm applying for everything, no matter how bad the pay is.. and still nothing....

I appreciate all kind of feedback and help.

Thank you

bluewriter

Aug 8, 2012
If using workopolis and craiglist don't work, I would go to those places and talk to the business owners.

tajc

Apr 8, 2011
Hi, Sharky....

The issue could be, that you are over qualified for the positions you applied too. Just mention years of experience, and the different venues you worked in. I know that in switzerland working in hospitality is a profession, in a combination of working and studying you could earn you a certificate or diploma. Not so much here in Canada. Downplay it, and keep your resumee simple.
Hope, that makes sense. Best of luck to you.

millcab

Aug 21, 2012
Can you email me your resume? We are looking for a Kitchen helper, we have a open LMO, and are located in Northern Alberta.

email: millcabs@hotmail.com

ssparkles

Apr 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 4, 2012
Doc's Request.
Nov 8, 2012 & March 19, 2013
AOR Received.
Oct 25, 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
Mar 19, 2013
Med's Done....
March 22 & received by CIC on April 10, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013, sent out passport same day.
VISA ISSUED...
May 21, 2013
LANDED..........
May 22, 2013
Hi millcab,

Do you have more positions available with an LMO? I'm in the same position, been applying for jobs but no interviews. I worked at a bank as an accounting analyst and now i need a job with an lmo as my work permit expired. If anyone who can give any tips on finding a job with an lmo, it would be really helpful :-[

nelly72

Star Member
Aug 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know if anyone is still reading this post but I wanted to throw my story in. I am married to a Canadian and I am a Permanent Resident. I moved to Saint John, New Brunswick in February 2011. Since that time I have applied for over 40 positions and I have only received about 3 calls for interviews. My experience is in Administration - Office Management, Personal/Executive Assistant. I have 2 resumes - one I use when appyling for senior admninistrative positions and one where I have downplayed my roles for Administrative Assistant positions. I have impeccable references and I don't jump from job to job. My last job was 10 years and prior to that 7 years. I did find a job through word of mouth but it only lasted 5 months as unfortunately my employer closed down.

I really do not know what to do besides continue applying. I need to work for financial reasons but I also just need to work! I love to work! What could possibly be wrong? Is it because all of my work experience is outside of Canada? Is it because I am a PR? I love it here and do not want to even consider moving elsewhere. (We have already put our house on the market).

Any advice is appreciated.
Best.

ssparkles

Apr 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 4, 2012
Doc's Request.
Nov 8, 2012 & March 19, 2013
AOR Received.
Oct 25, 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
Mar 19, 2013
Med's Done....
March 22 & received by CIC on April 10, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013, sent out passport same day.
VISA ISSUED...
May 21, 2013
LANDED..........
May 22, 2013
nelly72 said:
I don't know if anyone is still reading this post but I wanted to throw my story in. I am married to a Canadian and I am a Permanent Resident. I moved to Saint John, New Brunswick in February 2011. Since that time I have applied for over 40 positions and I have only received about 3 calls for interviews. My experience is in Administration - Office Management, Personal/Executive Assistant. I have 2 resumes - one I use when appyling for senior admninistrative positions and one where I have downplayed my roles for Administrative Assistant positions. I have impeccable references and I don't jump from job to job. My last job was 10 years and prior to that 7 years. I did find a job through word of mouth but it only lasted 5 months as unfortunately my employer closed down.

I really do not know what to do besides continue applying. I need to work for financial reasons but I also just need to work! I love to work! What could possibly be wrong? Is it because all of my work experience is outside of Canada? Is it because I am a PR? I love it here and do not want to even consider moving elsewhere. (We have already put our house on the market).

Best.
Hi Nelly,

I know many people have experience outside canada, once they come they cannot find a job so they do a short course on something just to get canadian credentials and then have a better shot at getting interviews.

However any course takes time and money and if you have your house on the market it may not be an option. I know for a fact that employment agencies can be of great help. But over time I've also learnt the way to get in touch with someone who will actually help you and not just throw your resume on the pile.

Basically you have to go personally to agencies, do some research on who you want to meet, make an appointment. Meet the person, discuss options and leave on a high note. After that is the main part, keep calling them and emailing them weekly or as appropriate so that they know you are actively hunting. Also a LinkedIn profile goes a long way. Many agencies may offer something temporary that eventually gets permanent. Make sure that it will get permanent though or has a good chance to get permanent, coz many times its only a temp position. Having a foot in the door is better than having nothing at all.

Also broaden your horizons as to where you will be willing to work. Initially I was just looking in one field, but now I've just opened up to anything that will get me working and that I might enjoy.

Hope this was some help. Wish you all the best x

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nelly72 said:

Best.
You applied over 40 positions since February, 2011 that is less than 3 jobs per month. You should be more aggressive to find job in Canada.

I would suggest you to start volunteer work with library or non-profit organization in your area. I think employer prefers to hire working people rather than unemployed people.

Best of luck.

tagore68

Oct 16, 2012
scorpion_ca said:
You applied over 40 positions since February, 2011 that is less than 3 jobs per month. You should be more aggressive to find job in Canada.

I would suggest you to start volunteer work with library or non-profit organization in your area. I think employer prefers to hire working people rather than unemployed people.

Best of luck.
yes you should be more aggressive......

nelly72

Star Member
Aug 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately there are few jobs being advertised. Everytime I saw a job advertised that I was qualified for (over and under) I have applied for it. I should have mentioned that I also hand delivered my resume all over the city (I took photos of the building directories so that I could personally address each one) and, I placed ads on Kijiji.

I also contacted all of the local employment agencies, met with a few of them and a few months ago I became a "Kelly Girl". Todate they have not had any positions available temporary or permanent. I call them once a week.

I have been on LinkedIn for many years now and have been viewed by 1 or 2 employers but it really hasn't yielded anything beyond putting me "out there".

I am now considering placing an ad in the local newspaper/flyers and another ad on Kijiji.

I appreciate your help.
All the best,
Michele

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
3 interviews out of 40 jobs isn't really that bad.

Taking six months to find a job is normal, especially when you're new to an area and don't know a lot of people.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Nice try, but real employers post their jobs on websites about jobs, not immigration.

I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

Edit: The post this was in reference was removed after I reported it and another to the moderators.

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
nelly72 said:
I also contacted all of the local employment agencies, met with a few of them and a few months ago I became a "Kelly Girl". Todate they have not had any positions available temporary or permanent. I call them once a week.

I have been on LinkedIn for many years now and have been viewed by 1 or 2 employers but it really hasn't yielded anything beyond putting me "out there".

I am now considering placing an ad in the local newspaper/flyers and another ad on Kijiji.
Hi Nelly,

If I were you, I would consider relocating to a bigger city. I know it may be a tough decision but you have to be open to different alternatives.

If you still want/need to stick around in N.Brunswick, just be more aggressive/active in your job search, like others have told you.

Send me a PM if you need an opinion about your resume or your LinkedIn profile. I'm no expert but I have hired people and seen lots of resumes, good and bad.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
nelly72, do not limit your job search to advertised jobs as most openings are not public any way. leverage your network, get in contact with headhunters, and use professional networks such as linkedin (place your profile, use their job sites and forums). as others mentioned before, you should be more aggressive. your goal should be 2-3 resumes per day and don't be shy to a) follow up with a phone call and b) re-apply to the same position....