+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No Income in Sight

processing...

Nov 5, 2020
Hello helpful people,

I (PA) applied for PR in August under spousal sponsorship (marriage). I live in Canada initially on a work permit, now expired. However IRCC seems to have established a recent new policy that disallows applications for open work permits for sponsored Principal Applicants if they do not live with their sponsor. My only option was to apply for a visitor visa.
Between long processing times (even longer due to covid) + having to wait for first stage approval before I can apply for an OWP (to my knowledge) + having to wait another 5 months for OWP approval, it seems my career progress and means of supporting myself will be on hold for a very long time (1 year+).
To make matters worse prior to this I worked in Canada and very much enjoyed my job. My ex-employer is waiting on my ability to work again but naturally if it's too long they'll have no choice but to replace me,

Am I wrong about my situation or Is there anything I can do to get back to work sooner than I expect? Or am I completely at the mercy of IRCC's processing times?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello helpful people,

I (PA) applied for PR in August under spousal sponsorship (marriage). I live in Canada initially on a work permit, now expired. However IRCC seems to have established a recent new policy that disallows applications for open work permits for sponsored Principal Applicants if they do not live with their sponsor. My only option was to apply for a visitor visa.
Between long processing times (even longer due to covid) + having to wait for first stage approval before I can apply for an OWP (to my knowledge) + having to wait another 5 months for OWP approval, it seems my career progress and means of supporting myself will be on hold for a very long time (1 year+).
To make matters worse prior to this I worked in Canada and very much enjoyed my job. My ex-employer is waiting on my ability to work again but naturally if it's too long they'll have no choice but to replace me,

Am I wrong about my situation or Is there anything I can do to get back to work sooner than I expect? Or am I completely at the mercy of IRCC's processing times?
The OWP policy isn't new or recent. It's been like this for over a decade. OWPs are only available to those who apply inland. To apply inland, both the sponsor and applicant must be in Canada and must be living together.

When did your work permit expire? Any chance your spousal sponsorship application + work permit was received by IRCC before your work permit expired?

Short answer is that you are at the mercy of IRCC processing times. If you want to work sooner, your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit.

processing...

Nov 5, 2020
Thanks for the response. It is appreciated.

My permit expired in August 2020. Applied for sponsorship and visitor visa shortly before expiry.

"Short answer is that you are at the mercy of IRCC processing times. If you want to work sooner, your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. "

How much work would this be asking of the employer? Pages upon pages to be filled, or something a little more reasonable for once?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello helpful people,

Another note in addition is that not only your OWP can't be approved but your inland sponsorship application will not be approved if you do not live with your sponsor in Canada.

Please clarified if you applied inland and move to live with your spouse if you want the application to continue.
Or are you back in your home country (since you mentioned about applying for visitor visa instead of applying to extend your visitor status)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the response. It is appreciated.

My permit expired in August 2020. Applied for sponsorship and visitor visa shortly before expiry.

"Short answer is that you are at the mercy of IRCC processing times. If you want to work sooner, your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. "

How much work would this be asking of the employer? Pages upon pages to be filled, or something a little more reasonable for once?
Need more information on the first part:
- What was the exact date your work permit expired in August 2020?
- What was the exact date you submitted the spousal sponsorship application?
- Did you include the OWP application with the spousal sponsroship application as one package?
- Assuming you send your spousal sponsorship by courier, what was the date the application package was received by IRCC?

EDIT: Depending on the answers to the above questions, you may have implied status and still be able to work.

LMIA is a huge amount of work and is months of processing. See below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/median-wage/high/requirements.html

Last edited: