+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No income as PR for my whole time in Canada will this be an issue?

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
Hey guys! I am new to Canada and I am trying to get a bit ahead of myself. My wife and I moved here as PRs just last year and we did not get a job but as it is suggested we still filed our taxes.

A year on now in Canada and we r still struggling with employment luckily we anticipated this and have saved lots of money (we r from the US) and are living a modest sabbatical so far. Which brings us to today.

We r both considering going back to school and one of us may not work for a total of 3 years meaning that by the time we are eligible for citizenship one or maybe both have had zero income. While yes we plan on filling every single year. I worry that it's going to look shady as shit. But who knows, I mean students don't always work... Any who would this be a problem?

Best case we do part time and make some decent money but even that makes me wonder how weird it could look.

Any of you have done this with no income?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys! I am new to Canada and I am trying to get a bit ahead of myself. My wife and I moved here as PRs just last year and we did not get a job but as it is suggested we still filed our taxes.

A year on now in Canada and we r still struggling with employment luckily we anticipated this and have saved lots of money (we r from the US) and are living a modest sabbatical so far. Which brings us to today.

We r both considering going back to school and one of us may not work for a total of 3 years meaning that by the time we are eligible for citizenship one or maybe both have had zero income. While yes we plan on filling every single year. I worry that it's going to look shady as shit. But who knows, I mean students don't always work... Any who would this be a problem?

Best case we do part time and make some decent money but even that makes me wonder how weird it could look.

Sounds counterintuitive but income doesn't matter.

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Income plays no role in your citizenship application. The only difference that I can see employment could make is proving your physical presence if that is ever questioned. But A) That's rare, B) From what I read on this forum, lack of employment is not a trigger for residency questionnaire.

energym

Aug 18, 2014
No it will not be a problem.
My application, I was unemployed for two years and self-employed for two years and I didn't have any contract at the time of my interview so the officer considered me as unemployed. She asked me about money management and how I did get by with no income, and like you I relied on my savings to get by, I also had in hand how much I spend each month. I got my "decision made" 4-5 days later and my ceremony invitation a week after.

Adding to what jickson mentioned it is worth keeping copies of your rental agreement, you travels record (of course), you financial records, ... etc. Not trying to scare but better have documents that prove your physical presence and not need them than need them and not have them.

Reactions: jc94

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
No it will not be a problem.
My application, I was unemployed for two years and self-employed for two years and I didn't have any contract at the time of my interview so the officer considered me as unemployed. She asked me about money management and how I did get by with no income, and like you I relied on my savings to get by, I also had in hand how much I spend each month. I got my "decision made" 4-5 days later and my ceremony invitation a week after.

Adding to what jickson mentioned it is worth keeping copies of your rental agreement, you travels record (of course), you financial records, ... etc. Not trying to scare but better have documents that prove your physical presence and not need them than need them and not have them.
This is very helpful, how deep in the questioning did the officer pry onto your finances?

You mentioned to have supporting documentation, did she actually ask you for it or you just had it but did not need it?

Thank you!

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
Income plays no role in your citizenship application. The only difference that I can see employment could make is proving your physical presence if that is ever questioned. But A) That's rare, B) From what I read on this forum, lack of employment is not a trigger for residency questionnaire.
What are triggers for the residency questionnaire? I don't know why I am so freaked.Out sbout but here I am I guess.

To add to it, my kid was born here so I am hoping that helps our case

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
What are triggers for the residency questionnaire? I don't know why I am so freaked.Out sbout but here I am I guess.
A common one is if you are currently employed outside Canada or have lived for extended periods of time living outside Canada. An extensive travel history outside Canada (especially a lot of travel to the US if you are not American) is another red flag. Those are the biggies that come to mind.

_KK8512_

Star Member
Aug 27, 2018
Several questions. You said you are from the US, why do you need Canadian citizenship... ?

You are from the US, I assume that means you are US citizens, why do you need Canadian citizenship... ? That question will likely be asked by an IRCC officer during the interview, if you get to that stage.

If you are a student, graduate student in particular, you will likely get TAs or RAs which cover your tuition fees. Your tax filings will reflect that and IRCC officials will know that you were full-time students in University, therefore you cannot have been working (unless you make money through investments for instance).

There are no issues with not making money, what IRCC officials look for is that you have a life here in Canada and that you indeed the kind of person that is genuinely looking to live in Canada.

ec6863

Oct 6, 2017
Several questions. You said you are from the US, why do you need Canadian citizenship... ?

You are from the US, I assume that means you are US citizens, why do you need Canadian citizenship... ? That question will likely be asked by an IRCC officer during the interview, if you get to that stage.

If you are a student, graduate student in particular, you will likely get TAs or RAs which cover your tuition fees. Your tax filings will reflect that and IRCC officials will know that you were full-time students in University, therefore you cannot have been working (unless you make money through investments for instance).

There are no issues with not making money, what IRCC officials look for is that you have a life here in Canada and that you indeed the kind of person that is genuinely looking to live in Canada.
Well, my son was born here and quite honestly it be a lot easier to just be a citizen and not worry about PR renewals .