+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No credit card for airport travel how to pay fees?

djein

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
My wife will be coming to Canada shortly via multiple airline stops from the Philippines. Manila to Hong Kong then a four day visit with family followed by Hong Kong to China to Calgary. The concern I have is she does not have a credit card and I worry about potential fees with baggage weight and her ability to purchase items / food during her layovers. If she gets stopped for example in China during the start of her second set of flights and they see her bags are 1kg or 2kg overweight and want to charge her a fee can she pay this in her native currency (peso) or is she forced to pay in the local currency or credit card? I know there are plenty of exchange kiosks once inside an airport so food shouldn't be an issue if she needs to convert money but in the fee area for baggage I never see any conversion desks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Best option is to get a credit card. Second best is to make sure she is carrying US dollars. Definitely do not rely on pesos.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If available in the Phillipines buy a prepaid currency/debit card loaded with say Canadian or US dollars. If available these cards are generally supported by mastercard or visa and regardless of what currency is on them can be used anywhere mastercard or visa is accepted. I have no idea if such an option available in the Phillipines but avoids needing a credit card if unable to get one.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 kg but less than 2kg should be fine. Most Chinese airlines are more flexible than Air Canada.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Bs65 said:
If available in the Phillipines buy a prepaid currency/debit card loaded with say Canadian or US dollars. If available these cards are generally supported by mastercard or visa and regardless of what currency is on them can be used anywhere mastercard or visa is accepted. I have no idea if such an option available in the Phillipines but avoids needing a credit card if unable to get one.
Yes, this is available in the Philippines. BPI, for example, offers it.
http://www.bpicards.com/Cards/PrepaidDetails/37

My concern is more if it will be accepted in China or what I guess is by China Southern airlines. ::)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
bellaluna said:
Yes, this is available in the Philippines. BPI, for example, offers it.
http://www.bpicards.com/Cards/PrepaidDetails/37

My concern is more if it will be accepted in China or what I guess is by China Southern airlines. ::)
i guess depends on whether the OPs second round of flights is HK to Calgary via China with just a plane change no stopover with bags checked through from HK where would think it highly likely a mastercard or visa card would be accepted versus mainland China. Then again i have no knowledge to support this assumption so the OP shpuld either consult the airline website for accepted payment methods or just call them.