+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No bank will open an account as visitor

Eab

Oct 24, 2013
All the banks require 2 levels of ID
One of which must be canadian(driving licence or sin card)

What to do?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For a BCID, as a visitor, you need a visitor record:

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/getting-licensed/apply-edl-eic-bcid

Here's how to apply the visitor record (permit):

RobsLuv said:
Sorry, this is not correct. People who are in Canada doing outland applications are not being given TRPs to stay in Canada with their spouse while waiting for PR. Someone who would need a TRP would NOT be eligible to apply for PR in the first place - that's why they'd need a TRP to come to Canada!

A Visitor Record is not the same thing as a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP), or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). A TRP is issued to someone who is otherwise inadmissible to Canada, to make an exception and allow them to enter Canada and stay for a specific period of time for some specific purpose. A TRV is a document that someone from a non-visa-exempt country must apply for, and be granted, before they can board transport to Canada.

Visa-exempt nationals do not need to be "pre-authorized" to enter Canada - a visa-exempt national can apply for entry to Canada at a Canadian port of entry. There is no guarantee that a visa-exempt foreign national will be allowed to enter Canada (just like with a non-visa-exempt FN who applies for a TRV), but if a visa-exempt FN is allowed to enter Canada, they're authorized to stay for up to six months. Sometimes circumstances will arise (like marriage between a Canadian and a visa-exempt foreign national) that might authorize the FN to remain in Canada for longer than six months - or an eligible visa-exempt FN may apply to extend their stay once they're in Canada. Visa-exempt foreign nationals who are either authorized to stay in Canada for six months or longer at a Canadian POE, or who are granted an extension to their stay after they enter Canada, will be issued a Visitor Record. The VR has an expiration date, so it only allows the FN to stay for a specific period of time - and then it must be renewed or the FN must leave Canada. It is not a re-entry permit, and it does not authorize work or study. A VR can also be used to limit the stay of a visa-exempt FN in Canada.

So, basically, a VR is a way to show that Immigration Canada has given you legal authorization to be in Canada for a specific period of time . . . that's probably why the drivers' licence bureau is asking for one. There's more info about Visitor Records and how to get them at this US2Canada link.

GMCSierra

Feb 22, 2014
Eab said:
All the banks require 2 levels of ID
One of which must be canadian(driving licence or sin card)

What to do?
I am currently in Canada on a TRV - I have opened a bank account with TD, using my US drivers licence and birth certificate. So, I know it can be done, as I do not have any Canadian ID, only US ID.

black star

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
anyone can get a canada driver's licence jus need a valid passport just do the written test and pass it and get a G1

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
black star said:
anyone can get a canada driver's licence jus need a valid passport just do the written test and pass it and get a G1
This is incorrect. The only valid passport that the issuers accepts is Canadian passport.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
This is incorrect. The only valid passport that the issuers accepts is Canadian passport.
Plus, you can't use a foreign passport as a primary form of ID for a driver licence either.

gigab

Jan 20, 2009
Calgary
Visa Office......
Guatemala
App. Filed.......
6/July/2009
Doc's Request.
2/Sept./2009
AOR Received.
11/January/2010
File Transfer...
Documents arrived: 17/Dec./2009
Med's Request
1/March/2010 received 26/March/2010
Med's Done....
17April/2010. Additional documents sent 28/April
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
5/May/2010
VISA ISSUED...
Dec. 10, 2010. Received January 11, 2011.
LANDED..........
March 10, 2011
Hi
I could open an account at TD bank for my mom, they asked for her passport and her permit issued by cic. And since I am a costumer of the bank, I guess, we had no problem at all, She's had that account for more than 2 years now.

Hope it helps
Gigab