+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No address in Canada

Andrea1199

Dec 8, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm a digital nomad and don't have a permanent address in Canada. Since I arrived, I've been using my friend's address.

However, my friend recently told me they can't share their address with me anymore. Therefore, I need to get myself a new address.

I'm eligible to apply for citizenship based on physical presence and I wanted to learn about my options.

What can I do when applying for citizenship in this situation? What address can I use in the application as my present address?

Could I use a UPS mailbox with a street address (not a PO box) for this?

Last edited:

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm a digital nomad and don't have a permanent address in Canada. Since I arrived, I've been using my friend's address. I've lived in many places in Canada, all temporary, mostly Airbnb.

I'm eligible to apply for citizenship based on physical presence. But I still don't have a permanent address. My friend recently told me they can't share their address with me anymore.

So, what can I do when applying for citizenship in this situation? What address can I use?

As for listing you past address history, you'd probably have to list out all your airbnb stays, if that's all you have being a "digial nomad". Perhaps also provide a letter explaining the airbnb stays and upload the receipts too.

Andrea1199

Dec 8, 2022
As for listing you past address history, you'd probably have to list out all your airbnb stays, if that's all you have being a "digial nomad". Perhaps also provide a letter explaining the airbnb stays and upload the receipts too.
Why do you think Airbnb stays should be explained? How they are different from other types of stay?

Also, regarding the receipts, is proof of address required for the application? Let say I lived in one place the whole time, do I need to include a rental agreement or property ownership documents in my citizenship application?

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
You don't have to explain anything but there is a possiblity they are going to ask more proof etc. I had airbnb stays for the first few months I got here and I was travelling around so there were a bunch of them. So I explained this in a letter.

Same goes for receipts. I ended up submitting my lease agreements and also proof of utilities. I provided as much info as possible so they don't have to get back to me and play the back and forth game. The goal is not to provide the minimum information to the case officer. Hey, but everyone have their own way of doing things.

Reactions: Andrea1199

PestoStar

Dec 17, 2021
Hi everyone,

I'm a digital nomad and don't have a permanent address in Canada. Since I arrived, I've been using my friend's address. I've lived in many places in Canada, all temporary, mostly Airbnb.

I'm eligible to apply for citizenship based on physical presence. But I still don't have a permanent address. My friend recently told me they can't share their address with me anymore.

So, what can I do when applying for citizenship in this situation? What address can I use?

The question is about addresses you lived at, so that's what the answer should be, whether they were airbnb's or otherwise.
A UPS address or a friend's address could be your mailing address, but presenting that as your actual address when you didn't live there is iffy at best, fraudulent at worst.

Receipts or proofs of address or employment are not required (always follow the checklist), but as always they can ask for anything at any point. That's why it's best to be truthful no matter how unusual or complicated one might think their situation is - IRCC have definitely seen it before and it's much easier (and safer) to corroborate or explain something when it's true than trying to fabricate an alternate story.

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020
they as you in the form - "5 years of address history inside and outside Canada. If there are any missing days/gaps, your application will be returned to you"

how do you plan to handle this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

Do you have any other friends who are willing to let you use their address? You cannot list the UPS mailbox as your residential address. I think you can list this as your mailing address, but not residential since it's obviously not where you live.

When you pull together your address history for the citizenship application, you would need to state where you actually lived. I don't think you can just use your friend's address since you moved around to different cities and provinces. You would be misrepresenting where you lived if you just provided one address.

Andrea1199

Dec 8, 2022
they as you in the form - "5 years of address history inside and outside Canada. If there are any missing days/gaps, your application will be returned to you"

how do you plan to handle this?
I think I have all addresses I lived at, so I can provide this information. But what exactly does "address" mean here? Is this specified in the form?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think I have all addresses I lived at, so I can provide this information. But what exactly does "address" mean here? Is this specified in the form?
Address History

Write all your addresses inside and outside of Canada during your 5-year eligibility period, including the postal codes, starting with your current home address. If you were residing, working or studying outside Canada, you must list all of your foreign addresses, including the country postal or mailing codes. Press the plus (+) button if you need more space. You don’t need to include addresses of family, friends, hotels or resorts where you stayed while on vacation.

Provide information that covers the 5-year eligibility period. Do not leave any gaps during this period and do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you as incomplete.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4

Andrea1199

Dec 8, 2022
Do you have any other friends who are willing to let you use their address? You cannot list the UPS mailbox as your residential address. I think you can list this as your mailing address, but not residential since it's obviously not where you live.

When you pull together your address history for the citizenship application, you would need to state where you actually lived. I don't think you can just use your friend's address since you moved around to different cities and provinces. You would be misrepresenting where you lived if you just provided one address.
I think I don't have any issues with providing actual addresses I lived at since I have this information. My question is mainly about the current address at the time of application submission and following mail communication from IRCC.

Let's say I applied from an Airbnb in Toronto. I can put the address of the place I am at in the application, but I will most likely move from that place after some time. Does this mean that I must update my address every time it changes? If yes, then something like UPS address would make things much easier since in this case, you provide one address that doesn't change and able to receive mail to that address all the time.

This is the main question of this thread.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why do you think Airbnb stays should be explained? How they are different from other types of stay?

Also, regarding the receipts, is proof of address required for the application? Let say I lived in one place the whole time, do I need to include a rental agreement or property ownership documents in my citizenship application?
Don't you the receipts of your stays in airbnb? Check email inbox unless you have deleted.

Andrea1199

Dec 8, 2022
Address History

Write all your addresses inside and outside of Canada during your 5-year eligibility period, including the postal codes, starting with your current home address. If you were residing, working or studying outside Canada, you must list all of your foreign addresses, including the country postal or mailing codes. Press the plus (+) button if you need more space. You don’t need to include addresses of family, friends, hotels or resorts where you stayed while on vacation.

Provide information that covers the 5-year eligibility period. Do not leave any gaps during this period and do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you as incomplete.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4
Thanks!