+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NJ - Ontario License exchange

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hello All,
Looks like this one the most discussed topic when it comes to license exchange and still there is a lot of confusion. I hope someone who has most sorted answer can pitch in.
- My first License issued around Aug 2011 in New Jersey
- My Current license will expire in May 2020.
- I have all the DL cards (expired) from Dec 2012.
- I am yet to apply for DL abstract. DO -21 (Abstract) and DO-11 (Driving license application history)

Questions
- Should I apply for the entire Diving History abstract or just 5 years? (DO-21)
- Does it matter how old the DO - 21 and DO-11 is in terms of document issue date? or it should be within the last 30 days from the day of License Exchange application at Drive Test in Ontario? I am moving in March 2020.
- I have read at multiple forums that NJ DMV does not keep records for older than 3 years. What other documents I can apply to make sure it mentions the first issuance date of the DL which is Aug 2011.

Thanks,
Chikoo.

Last edited:

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Ok. This is new information for me. Thanks for sharing it.
Also, will this document work for license exchange? I will also refer to the link you have shared.
New Jersey abstract along with valid license will work for license exchange.
The insurance letters is only for insurance companies to get better rates.

Reactions: chikoo1985

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
New Jersey abstract along with valid license will work for license exchange.
The insurance letters is only for insurance companies to get better rates.
Got it.
I see there are two options for the abstract - Entire history and 5 years abstract.

Which one should I apply for?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Your US driving history gets credited in to your Canadian driving records. So more you get it is better for you any day. Just go for full history without any second thoughts.

My understanding is that along with insurance history, clean driving history would be equally important to get good insurance rates. After all we know that getting a ticket impacts insurance rates.

Reactions: chikoo1985

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Your US driving history gets credited in to your Canadian driving records. So more you get it is better for you any day. Just go for full history without any second thoughts.

My understanding is that along with insurance history, clean driving history would be equally important to get good insurance rates. After all we know that getting a ticket impacts insurance rates.
Makes sense.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Were you able to exchange your license? Did you apply for DO-11 form?
Hello,
Yes. I carried DO - 21 along with DO-11. All we need is three years of driving history including the current valid driver license. Both the application happens through mail only and takes 3-4 weeks. I carried DO21, DO11 for one renewal and expired DL cards for the remaining 7 years of my driving Hisotry. Also, you may have to explain why DO11 to the rep at service Ontario as they will get confused. Reason is DO21 only has current expiry date so to prove the issue date we carry DO11 from NJ.

Note: Let say you have 10 years of driving history and if you have all the expired cards then carry it with you when you visit Service Ontario. In this case you need Do21 and Do11 for only three years for rest of the years expired card will suffice.

If you don't have the expired DL cards then please take DO 11 for all the renewals or else the driving history will not reflect all the years and this will for the sure impact your insurance and it's pretty high around here.

Hope this helps.

MittalM

Apr 18, 2019
Hi,
Soon I will be moving from NJ to Toronto. Any help on this would be appreciated.
I have this brief license history in NJ.
  • Sept 2015 to May 2016
  • Nov 2019 to Sept 2020
So, total exp is less than 2 years. I have already ordered DO - 21, but looks like I also have to order DO 11 for renewal history and to get an original issue date. My questions are:

1. Do I have to order two DO 11 or just older one Sept 2015 and valid current license will work ? How to order DO 11 online ?
  2. Since I have less than 2 years driving exp on NJ license, I assume, will not get G license directly...So what license I will be getting in Ontario ? G2 ?
  3. Can we register a car with G2 license ? I am planning to import a car from USA.
  4. What documents should I carry from my USA insurance companies to get any benefits in rates from Canada companies ?
  5. I have India license with 8 years of history, Can I get any advantage if I use India license over less than two years of NJ license ?

Thank You !!

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hi,
Soon I will be moving from NJ to Toronto. Any help on this would be appreciated.
I have this brief license history in NJ.
  • Sept 2015 to May 2016
  • Nov 2019 to Sept 2020
So, total exp is less than 2 years. I have already ordered DO - 21, but looks like I also have to order DO 11 for renewal history and to get an original issue date. My questions are:

1. Do I have to order two DO 11 or just older one Sept 2015 and valid current license will work ? How to order DO 11 online ? - Don't need DO11 for current valid license. It's only via mail. The processing time is 2-3 weeks. BUT.... If the gap is more than one year they probably won't consider the previous license so suggest you to please call Service Ontario and check if you need Driving history from 205-16.
  2. Since I have less than 2 years driving exp on NJ license, I assume, will not get G license directly...So what license I will be getting in Ontario ? G2 ? - Most probably G2
  3. Can we register a car with G2 license ? I am planning to import a car from USA. - Hope some expert replies to this. I think you can. Honestly, check insurance rates before importing the car. Looks like it will not worth it. If you plan to come then avoid staying in GTA areas, insurance rates are super high.
  4. What documents should I carry from my USA insurance companies to get any benefits in rates from Canada companies? - Insurance history
  5. I have India license with 8 years of history, Can I get any advantage if I use India license over less than two years of NJ license ? - You should certainly look into this. Call service Ontario. They are really helpful. Make sure the mention the years for all the licenses. If you hold License from 2016 - 19 you to confirm with them and get that history too.

Thank You !!

KanadianGuy

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Hi, I am checking on the process of getting DO11 for the NJ-ON license exchange. I am already in Canada and the ON drive test didn't accept my drivers abstract which I believe is (DO 21). Do i need to post DO11 and then DMV will post me the documents back to a canadian address?

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Hi, I am checking on the process of getting DO11 for the NJ-ON license exchange. I am already in Canada and the ON drive test didn't accept my drivers abstract which I believe is (DO 21). Do i need to post DO11 and then DMV will post me the documents back to a canadian address?
Yeah. My friends got it delivered here. But please double check. Also, that takes longer time. If you have an option, get it delivered to your friends place in NJ and then ship it overnight to your Canadian address.
Also, one of these number is for the office which processed DO11 609 292 4102/609 292 6100. Speak with them.

Meimei99

May 8, 2019
Hello, I had the same bad experience in Ottawa. I went to the DriveTest centre with my NJ driver license which is clearly showing the issuance date was Sep 2018 and expiration in May 2021, thought this is good enough to prove I have more than 2 years driving experience, i also provided my non-certified NJ driver history abstract, but they rejected because the abstract didn't give the issuance date and insisted to to get a record showing the issuance date of my driver license !!! I don't get it, why the issuance date printed on the driver license is not acceptable? this is an official ID, if this is not acceptable, then the passport issued by another country is also not acceptable !!! anyone tried to complain and escalate? totally insane and make it unnecessary difficult for new immigrant. Thanks for any suggestion !

KanadianGuy

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Hello, I had the same bad experience in Ottawa. I went to the DriveTest centre with my NJ driver license which is clearly showing the issuance date was Sep 2018 and expiration in May 2021, thought this is good enough to prove I have more than 2 years driving experience, i also provided my non-certified NJ driver history abstract, but they rejected because the abstract didn't give the issuance date and insisted to to get a record showing the issuance date of my driver license !!! I don't get it, why the issuance date printed on the driver license is not acceptable? this is an official ID, if this is not acceptable, then the passport issued by another country is also not acceptable !!! anyone tried to complain and escalate? totally insane and make it unnecessary difficult for new immigrant. Thanks for any suggestion !

Search for DO11 over internet and try calling the number 609 292 4102. I was able to get the license exchanged after the initial decline.

Reactions: Meimei99