+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEXUS entry into US/Canada with Indian passport and F-1 visa

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hi,

I'm a Canadian PR (since one year) who is on his last six months of F-1 STEM OPT in the US (with a valid F-1 visa) before I move permanently to Canada. I also have a NEXUS card that I received earlier this year. I haven't used it yet. I would like to try it out once in Nov this year, before I leave US for good and may not have a reason to come back.

I went to CBSA, CBP website and various other forums but could not find an answer for my specific case. I would like to make a short trip to Canada in November this year and would like to try out my NEXUS card for the entry process into Canada and then back into US. I have the following documents (all valid):
1. NEXUS card
2. Canadian PR card
3. Canadian PRTD (valid till December this year)
4. Indian passport
5. F-1 visa
6. STEM OPT I-20
7. STEM OPT EAD Card
(No. 4-7 are required by STEM OPT recepients for entering US when using regular CBP lanes)

Traveling By Air:
While entering Canada I'll just need to show my PR card and passport and enter. So that part should be easy. I still haven't given my iris scan so I don't want to use the kiosks at the Canadian airport till I give those, unless there's an option of using NEXUS lanes without scanning irises. Once I enter Canada/at the airport I will go to the CBSA nexus office and give a walk-in iris scan.

While entering the US, previously when I didn't have a NEXUS card I would go through regular CBP pre-clearance lanes at Toronto airport and show document Nos. 4-7. Does having NEXUS card enable me to skip this step, e.g. by using the Global Entry kiosks? As I mentioned, I have all valid US entry documents but would like to test the card and see if I can skip the lines?

Traveling By land:
I read while entering Canada by road (say at the Buffalo NY crossing), I only need use the NEXUS lane to tap my NEXUS card at the reader, show the card to the CBSA for visual inspection, declare any items, and enter Canada is that correct?

While entering the US, can I do the same thing as above: NEXUS lane, tap, visual inspection, declaration, enter? Or will the fact that I am an Indian citizen result in them forcing me to use regular inspection with all documents? Anyone's experience in this regard will be helpful.

If I use land crossing I am planning to fly to Buffalo, and drive across to visit Niagara and onto Toronto, and same way back to the US.

I am also planning to use a rental car from Buffalo airport that will stay in Canada for 4-5 days.

----
Does anyone see any issues in these approaches? I want to make sure I don't do the wrong thing while using the NEXUS card as it can be revoked if I make any mistake as I am held to a higher standard than most other travelers. I never carry any goods/food items/large amounts of cash etc that are dutiable when I travel.

I am also aware that I can be selected randomly for secondary inspection in which case I will need to show some/all of the above documents for entry into the US/Canada.

Last edited:

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Hi

When you got the nexus Card did you have Canadian PR ? Any new citizenship must declare to Nexus Authorities only. Which you didnt As per my understanding

Couldn't see any issue while travelling by Car.

while travelling by Air its not much difference in term of priority its same screening as for everyone else as well. You will get little edge in term of time only.

Good Luck
S.B

CasioLottoMax

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
Hi,

Traveling By Air:
While entering Canada I'll just need to show my PR card and passport and enter. So that part should be easy. I still haven't given my iris scan so I don't want to use the kiosks at the Canadian airport till I give those, unless there's an option of using NEXUS lanes without scanning irises. Once I enter Canada/at the airport I will go to the CBSA nexus office and give a walk-in iris scan.

While entering the US, previously when I didn't have a NEXUS card I would go through regular CBP pre-clearance lanes at Toronto airport and show document Nos. 4-7. Does having NEXUS card enable me to skip this step, e.g. by using the Global Entry kiosks? As I mentioned, I have all valid US entry documents but would like to test the card and see if I can skip the lines?
How could you finalise the Nexus interview without an Iris Scan? If you have a Nexus Card shouldn't that mean you processed the Iris Scan ?

You can entering USA you can Global Entry Kiosks when both the passport you are using is associated with the Nexus card and you have a registered Iris Scan (which is the same requirement when using the Kiosks for entering Canada).

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
How could you finalise the Nexus interview without an Iris Scan? If you have a Nexus Card shouldn't that mean you processed the Iris Scan ?

You can entering USA you can Global Entry Kiosks when both the passport you are using is associated with the Nexus card and you have a registered Iris Scan (which is the same requirement when using the Kiosks for entering Canada).
I did the Nexus interview on the US side (US-Canada land border in Montana). None of the land border crossings have the iris scanner I believe. Now I can walk-in into any enrollment center without appointment just to give my iris scan.

Based on your answer, if I travel by air, I think I will have to enter Canada, give my iris scan at the airport enrollment center, and only then use the GE kiosk on US side for re-entry.

Do you know the answer to my "traveling by land" question?

Thanks for your answer.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hi

When you got the nexus Card did you have Canadian PR ? Any new citizenship must declare to Nexus Authorities only. Which you didnt As per my understanding

Couldn't see any issue while travelling by Car.

while travelling by Air its not much difference in term of priority its same screening as for everyone else as well. You will get little edge in term of time only.

Good Luck
S.B
Yes I had a Canadian PR; I applied for Nexus only after I got the PR otherwise I wouldn't have been eligible (also, since I have lived in US for many years the 3 years residency requirement was waived). My citizenship hasn't changed.

Thanks for your answer.

P.S.: The main reason I applied for Nexus was I believed I would get TSA-precheck. However, being a Canadian PR and citizen of third country (i.e. no US/Canadian passport or US green card), I'm not eligible for precheck. I do get the priority lanes while traveling by car, and possibly via air which is nice.

CasioLottoMax

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
Hi,

now seeing your reply it makes sense. So, for air travel the Iris Scan is a must requirement. Without the Iris Scan the Nexus card only entitles to land border crossing.

Since your Nexus card is not (yet) qualified for air travel this might be the reason why you don't get the TSA-Precheck. TSA-Precheck is open to anyone and it's not bound for US or Canada citizens only. Randomly TSA-Precheck may not appear on a certain boarding ticket, but it's basically open to anyone who can qualify for Global Entry / Nexus or eligible to purchase the TSA-Precheck benefit.

For your land border crossing no idea...you will find out..when you approach the CBP officer you will definitely have to show your valid entry documents (which is not the case when entering into Canada) - depending on what the CBP system triggers you may have to go for secondary or you are good to drive through. Nexus does not speed up the "immigration" entry into USA.