Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
What’s cobsidered continuous residency? I will soon complete 3 years in Canada, half of it as a PR. But I spent a month abroad in holidays, visiting family?
Would I need to stay 3 years in Canada without ever visiting relatives abroad?
I am not really sure if holidays will be exempted. The guys sitting at both border wont even tell us if we are eligible as they know less on it.
So its better to apply and see what happens as you dont have choice or nothing to loose(in one way that they will return the cheque as i applied via paper - but not sure if they would refund for online application).

As they returned my application with the rejection reason in a letter (i had break of 8 months in another country), then i stayed for 1 more year to make sure i had 3 continuous years before i applied.

My colleague did not face this issue with international short vacations to his home country as i am sure that he was not here in this region for continuous 3 years. Keep in mind that i dont know if he mentioned the short trip and dont know if he had mentioned the foreign address of that trip in the list of addresses. So apply for it and see your luck to know the exact rule to know if we are exempted.

Last edited:

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
What’s cobsidered continuous residency? I will soon complete 3 years in Canada, half of it as a PR. But I spent a month abroad in holidays, visiting family?
Would I need to stay 3 years in Canada without ever visiting relatives abroad?
A one month holiday should be fine (so long as you maintained a residency/employment in Canada while on holiday). IT would only be a problem if you moved to a different country for a month, that would break the continuous residency requirement.

wzhmm

Oct 27, 2017
Called CBSA today at their General Information number and asked this question specifically - Does time as a temporary resident before becoming a PR count toward the "3 year legal resident" rule for NEXUS eligibility; the answer is YES.
I became a PR 1 year ago but have been a temporary resident for many years (many years with study permits and then PGWP) and just submitted my application today.

Reactions: harpreethwalia

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
Called CBSA today at their General Information number and asked this question specifically - Does time as a temporary resident before becoming a PR count toward the "3 year legal resident" rule for NEXUS eligibility; the answer is YES.
I became a PR 1 year ago but have been a temporary resident for many years (many years with study permits and then PGWP) and just submitted my application today.
Good luck! Unfortunately the US government shutdown has impacted Nexus processing, there's now a huge backlog of applications waiting for processing on the US side. A colleague of mine was interviewed and approved on December 18th so just before the shutdown and they are still waiting for the card in the mail (cards are produced and sent from the US).

mrHuiChen

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
how did your application go now?

mrHuiChen

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
Still Pending... Maybe the government shutdown created a backlog? I don't know.
Humm.. that's pain in the arse...
But at least so far
"Does time as a temporary resident before becoming a PR count toward the "3 year legal resident" rule for NEXUS eligibility; the answer is YES. "

this has been proved correct.

wzhmm

Oct 27, 2017
This is an update on my application: Just received an email this morning saying there is a change in application status. Now I am conditionally approved and have an interview scheduled for early April!

mrHuiChen

Star Member
Feb 23, 2018
This is an update on my application: Just received an email this morning saying there is a change in application status. Now I am conditionally approved and have an interview scheduled for early April!
How long did it take you from 'submit and pay' till appointment set.

MARCHIE

Jan 8, 2011
Vancouver ....Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC LONDON UK-----Transferred to PVO 7Feb 2013
NOC Code......
3152 ( Registered Nurse )
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26 May 2010
Doc's Request.
18 October 2010
Nomination.....
CHC London 15 Jan 2011...
AOR Received.
1st AOR 18 Oct 2010 / 2nd AOR 16 June 2011..
IELTS Request
All Done..
File Transfer...
PARIS OFFICE
Med's Request
13 March 2013
Med's Done....
10 April 2013
Interview........
Medicals Results Received 15 Aug 2013...
Passport Req..
29 Sep 2013 Submitted @ Abu Dhabi U.A.E
VISA ISSUED...
01 Oct 2013
LANDED..........
Celebrated White Christmas in Vancouver..2013.
i was denied nexus as pr status was less than 3 yrs residency in canada now i got my canadian citizenship do i still need to maintain 3 yrs residency