+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus card or just global entry - Indian citizen

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Hello all,

I would like to know if I am eligible for Nexus card + global entry or I just need to go for Global entry.

I am an Indian citizen living in US in H1b since last 6 years and I activated my Canadian PR sometime early last year. I have not moved to Canada yet, and I am planning to move by the end of next year.

Since I have a vacation coming up to India, I was thinking of applying for 'Global Entry program' meant for Indian citizens. While applying I noticed in the first page that there is an option to choose 'Canadian permanent resident' which would entitle me for Nexus card + global entry. If not, I need to give answer as 'No' the question and just go for global entry.

Am I eligible for 'Nexus card' with my current circumstances? I have not traveled anywhere else other than Canada from US in last 3 years. In Canada too, I landed an came back within a hour or so.

thanks.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You can choose to apply for Nexus also, but it will delay your Global entry application.

Also, unless you are a frequent traveler, Global entry is not that beneficial.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
You can choose to apply for Nexus also, but it will delay your Global entry application.

Also, unless you are a frequent traveler, Global entry is not that beneficial.
Thanks.. I believe Nexus application takes only 2-3 months and Global entry automatically comes along with Nexus for Indian citizens. Given that there is nothing special that's done for 'Global entry', why would the process get delayed?

Stand alone global entry application takes very long to process as one needs to appear for interview in PSK in India and then need to get clearance from Indian government. People have even had their applications expire waiting for clearance from India govt. Being Canadian PR seems to give a pass from that tedious process.

Aug 5, 2023
I am a Canadian PR with Nexus. If you want TSA Precheck for travel within in the US then you should get Global Entry.

For Canadian PR who are citizens of other countries and get approved for nexus, they do no get TSA precheck while flying within the US . Nexus is useful while crossing the border by road or air between US and Canada and you also get expedited screening while flying within Canada.