+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

newly landed immigrants divorce

jaxax

Feb 10, 2015
Dudes, please help me to understand the consequences of decision we want to make now.

During the Express Entry application, I married my wife and added her in application. So we married approx a year.
6 month back we landed and we want to divorce.

How it will affect my PR statues and my sponsored wife status?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You haven't sponsored your spouse. Both of you have got PR status simultaneously by virtue of you adding her to your PR application. Getting a divorce would not impact either of your PR status.

jaxax

Feb 10, 2015
Asivad, are you 100% sure about this?

in my application it was mentioned she is my dependent. Non of her documents were assessed or requested, only application. isnt it same i sponsored her?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You cannot sponsor your spouse until you are a Canadian citizen or PR. In your case, you merely added her to your application as accompanying spouse. I imagine that you got married after getting your eAPR thereby obviating the need to get any documentation for your spouse barring medicals, PCC and additional POF which is exactly how it should be.

A quick and easy way of identifying this is by checking your COPR. It will clearly mention if your PR status is conditional.

...The CIC officer

- issues the COPR with a condition. The officer must select “Yes” on the Conditional field of the principal applicant’s eligibility assessment record.

- issues a letter to notify applicant of the condition. Officers must print the letter for each person subject to the condition.
Source

samola10

Jan 17, 2016
Lagos
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra Ghana
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
23-11-2015
Doc's Request.
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
06-04-2016
Med's Request
29-11-2016 done re-medical and will be sent to accra by doctor
Med's Done....
24-07-2015, medical now confirmed passed on 22-04-2016. Thank God, 07-10-2016 schedule A, additional family information, police certificate Nigeria nd Uk nd kids medicals requested nd all submitted
Interview........
not my portion IJN, on the 05/01/2017 eCas show decision made... Thank God, journey almost completed.
Passport Req..
soon
Hi,
sorry you may not like my contribution on d subject matter, it sound as or like fraud to me.
And this why Canada immigration became strict on applicant. this act is enough to blocking other true applicants.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samola10 said:
Hi,
sorry you may not like my contribution on d subject matter, it sound as or like fraud to me.
And this why Canada immigration became strict on applicant. this act is enough to blocking other true applicants.
That is not the question here. And one may not make assumptions about events which one is not privy to.

IRCC is clear on this front. Marriage fraud is a reality and they are dealing with it. Most (all?) of those frauds happen under the family sponsorship class. EE is a relatively new program and is insanely competitive so there may be a few loopholes which might get exploited here and there. I'm fairly certain that those will be plugged, in turn, at their own time. Meanwhile, OP hasn't violated any existing laws either by supporting their spouse in getting PR status or by contemplating divorce 6 months down the line.