+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Newbie Question on Routes to Immigration

OldCanuck

Feb 2, 2016
Hi All

I'm just, at this point, in time looking for general information (having already looked through, and been somewhat confused by the CIC website).

The context is that I am a Canadian-born dual national (CAN/UK) who has been living in the UK for a loooooong time. My common-law partner of 15 years is a sole UK national.

We are trying to determine the most appropriate route for emmigration from the UK to Canada.

Leaving aside consideration like jobs, finances, etc (I know we will have to deal with that at some point down the line, but not just at this moment) it seems that we have two options:

1 - go through Family Sponsorship while in the UK, with me as sponsor and my partner as the sponsored person, and move to Canada once that is achieved, or
2 - I move to Canada, establish myself, my partner joins me as a tourist and then immediately applies for PR.

Any comments, advice, suggestions on the above?

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
I would suggest you start the family sponsorship now and then move over with your partner as a tourist if it takes to long.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply from outside Canada, you have to add proof that you intend to settle in Canada when your partner gets PR. Proof of that could be having a job offer, having been accepted to a university or having arranged housing. In some cases people have gotten away with a rental agreement to rent a relatives basement, even if they never actually planned to live in it.

If you wait until you are settled in Canada and your partner joins you as a tourist, your partner will not be able to work right away and will not have health care.

OldCanuck

Feb 2, 2016
Leon said:
If you apply from outside Canada, you have to add proof that you intend to settle in Canada when your partner gets PR. Proof of that could be having a job offer, having been accepted to a university or having arranged housing. In some cases people have gotten away with a rental agreement to rent a relatives basement, even if they never actually planned to live in it.

If you wait until you are settled in Canada and your partner joins you as a tourist, your partner will not be able to work right away and will not have health care.
Can you clarify please - are you suggesting that it is not a good idea for me to settle in Canada then have my partner join me at some point?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OldCanuck said:
Can you clarify please - are you suggesting that it is not a good idea for me to settle in Canada then have my partner join me at some point?
I am absolutely not suggesting anything. It's just a different way of applying. If you apply outland meaning your application is processing partially in London, the processing time according to CIC right now is approximately 14 months. If you apply while you yourself are living outside Canada, you need to include proof that you will settle in Canada when your partner gets PR. Could be a job offer, having arranged housing etc. However, sometimes it's hard to get a job offer or a rental agreement if you are only planning on moving in 14 months and if you do move at some point during the processing time, your partner could only join you as a visitor and would not be able to work or have health care.

However, if you decide on a completely inland application, you could return to Canada with your spouse as a visitor, apply inland and apply for an open work permit for her at the same time. In that case, the processing time is 26 months but she would have the open work permit after about 4 at which time she will be able to work and will most likely not have any problems getting health care. With an inland application, it is however not advised to leave Canada during the processing time and if she does, it should only be for a short time because it is a requirement of applying inland that the person is residing in Canada.

It is up to you which method you choose. If you want PR for her faster, you apply outland. If you want to move to Canada sooner and have PR faster but don't mind that she can't work, you can apply outland and go to Canada with her as a tourist. If you want to move to Canada right now but want her to be able to work sooner but don't mind waiting for PR, you can move now and apply inland with an open work permit.

OldCanuck

Feb 2, 2016
Hi Leon

Many Thanks - your reply v helpful.

Just one further question at this time, which you may or not know the answer to... If we start the process outland but, through circumstances, end up moving to Canada before the process is finished, will our paperwork be shifted to an inland processing office or not?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OldCanuck said:
Hi Leon

Many Thanks - your reply v helpful.

Just one further question at this time, which you may or not know the answer to... If we start the process outland but, through circumstances, end up moving to Canada before the process is finished, will our paperwork be shifted to an inland processing office or not?
It will remain outland. Keep in mind that your wife technically isn't allowed to "move" to Canada until she has PR. All she can do is visit.