+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Newbie / Application From Sweden to Sponsor Swedish Spouse

pacekm

Aug 29, 2012
Hello!
I'm a newcomer to this forum, and after spending quite a bit of time on my application and still being somewhat confused, I thought I would turn to this forum to see if anyone could help me. Hopefully I'm not asking a bunch of questions that have already been answered, if I am, I apologize and feel free to just link me to a thread instead of replying.
Basically my situation is this: I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring my Swedish spouse; we both live together in Sweden right now. The forms are all filled out and I'm now working on putting together supporting documents. I am wondering the following:
  • What kind of things need to be included as proving the relationship is genuine?
  • Do I need to get every single photocopy I include notarized (e.g. passports, emails, photos, pay stubs, etc)?
  • (Sweden specific question) Where in Sweden can one go to get things notarized? I know in Canada it can be done at a bank, doctor, etc. I feel like a lawyer is probably the most expensive option and I would like to avoid that if possible.
  • (Sweden specific question) Do I need to get my marriage certificate translated and then notarized? I got something else in English from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) called an "Extract of the Population Register" that states both of our names, personnummer, civil status, address, etc. Of course it also states that we are married to each other. Do you think this would suffice or do I need to find a translator for the marriage certificate as well?
Thank you in advance for your help!
pacekm

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey!

and welcome to the forum - I'm also applying from Sweden ( but not swedish myself).

*to prove the relatinoship is genuine - follow the checklist. Basically if you live together, get your rent contract translated. Copy letters that arrives at the same address. Letters from friends and family. pictures of you two together, with her/his family and your family, with friends. if you have been on holidays together - copies of plane tickets. If you have a life insurance naming her/him as your beneficiary - copy of that. emails to each other ( in your case, it can be emails about daily things to show that you live together), bank account if it is shared ( otherwise as your spouse to your bank account and print the extract, or get it from the bank, it's quite easy, i did that...).
*only official documents required need to be notarized - pay stubs, email, photos, passports etc are not necessary.
*I am not sure where to get things notarized in Sweden. The only thing we got notarized was the translation of our rent contract and shared bank account, and the "notarisation" came together, as it has to be a certified translation. We used a translator we found on the internet, and she was really good, fast, and very professional. Let me know if you need her contact, I can send it to you via private message.
*I would get the marriage certificate translated ( and if you get a certified translation then it's all done in once) as it is the official proof and I think it's required. I also got the extract from Skatteverket ( mostly to prove my common law status, as I am not married), and I think it is also a good proof, but I would recommend also getting the certificate translated.

Feel free to ask more questions!
best of luck,
Sweden :)

pacekm

Aug 29, 2012
I would love to get the information on the translator you used, especially if that counts as notarization. I'm a fan of killing two birds with one stone if at all possible, and having a reference to someone is always nice. Not really sure how to go about with PMs on this forum though, can you tell me how that works? I tried following the instructions that were provided on the forum (clicking someone's username and then clicking send this person a private message) but the option was not available to me. Is there some amount of time I have to have been signed up for before I can send a private message?
Another thing I just ran across: the principal applicant is supposed to provide identity and civil status documents - what did you/your partner use for this? A personbevis? I noticed that is the only document available to print out from Skatteverket's website.
It seems like we're very much in the same situation, both not Swedish citizens, so I'm sure I'll come back to you with more questions! Thank you for your help Sweden!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
To be able to send a PM you need a certain number of post, I believe it's 10 posts. But that's OK - I'll send you one, no worries.

I got both a personbevis, and the photocopy of my passport + original birth certificate for me (I'm the applicant, and I could ask for as many as I wanted from the townhall of my home town, so that was easy), so that should be enough!

Feel free to ask! glad I can help, and share the knowledge accumulated since the beginning of the process!
Sweden