+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New visitor visa for spouses after applying for PR (before AOR)

fak21

May 3, 2014
I know people are saying that you should wait for your AOR before applying but has that changed at all? Since this is a new thing, can you not apply for a visitor visa for your spouse the day after you apply for PR? The AOR process takes 3 months and then another month to get visitor visa so in total it's like 4 months which doesn't do much as the PR application can be processed in 6 months anyways. I wonder if the government is looking into this.
Wonder if anyone has applied for a TRV for their spouse before the AOR

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know people are saying that you should wait for your AOR before applying but has that changed at all? Since this is a new thing, can you not apply for a visitor visa for your spouse the day after you apply for PR? The AOR process takes 3 months and then another month to get visitor visa so in total it's like 4 months which doesn't do much as the PR application can be processed in 6 months anyways. I wonder if the government is looking into this.
Yes, you can apply both at the same time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can do whatever you want. If you apply for the TRV before AOR, it's quite possible normal TRV processing times will apply vs. the 30 days and your application won't fall under the new policy. Let us know what happens if you try. The rule is too new for there to be too many experiences yet. The approved cases I've seen on this forum have all applied post AOR.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
...The AOR process takes 3 months and then another month to get visitor visa so in total it's like 4 months which doesn't do much as the PR application can be processed in 6 months anyways. ...
Has the IRCC updated the processing time on its website to 6 months? Last time I looked, it was 14. Where do you get the 6 months figure?

Reactions: scylla

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Has the IRCC updated the processing time on its website to 6 months? Last time I looked, it was 14. Where do you get the 6 months figure?
When we submitted, my wife's outland PR application in July last year, the processing time said 23 months. My wife's application was completed in 6 months to the day.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
When we submitted, my wife's outland PR application in July last year, the processing time said 23 months. My wife's application was completed in 6 months to the day.
Yes, I recognize a few get through that fast, but for the OP to say processing is 6 months I think can only be said to be true in a small minority of cases. I have noticed quite a few cases from India, processed in New Delhi, getting through in 6 months, but I do not think that makes it safe to say, broadly, that 6 months is now any kind of norm. The shortest time I have seen for Philippines is one that recently finished in 10 months, with the application date being in July 2022.

Reactions: ERCAN

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Posted processing times are just estimates and often incorrect. The posted times are based on historical data so Covid has lead to lots of processing times being innacurate. May take another year to get the Covid data out of the calculation of processing times.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Posted processing times are just estimates and often incorrect. The posted times are based on historical data so Covid has lead to lots of processing times being innacurate. May take another year to get the Covid data out of the calculation of processing times.
I never took them as gospel. I am not so wholly unschooled, ignorant and incapable of independent thought about these things as you might think. Unrepentant, I remain of the view that it's wrong or misleading to categorically state:
The AOR process takes 3 months and then another month to get visitor visa so in total it's like 4 months which doesn't do much as the PR application can be processed in 6 months anyways
It would be unobjectionable to rephrase in terms such as: "The AOR process takes 3 months and then another month to get visitor visa so in total it's like 4 months which doesn't do much in those seldom-seen cases where PR application is processed in 6 months anyways. But for the majority of PR applicants, there is most likely a benefit.

I note the OP said the PR application can be processed in 6 months, and not will be processed in 6 months. Sure, just about anything can happen. Probably the IRCC can drag an individual PR application across the finish line in one month, if motivated to do so.

engr.zuhair

Oct 4, 2020
Hey, did you get a change to apply it before AOR? If yes, How did it go? If no, Was there any additional information you got in this regards?

Thanks

alxms10

Dec 16, 2016
London-UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London-UK, then Paris-France, then Cairo-Egypt
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-06-2016
Doc's Request.
19-10-2016
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
05/05/2017, then 05/06/2017
VISA ISSUED...
22/06/2017
LANDED..........
07/08/2017
Hello guys

Any updates on this?

Headquake

Jan 4, 2023
Lol it took us like 6 month , to get told that i qualified as sponsor and receive aor for her . There no way pr took 6 month to be process its more like 1.5 years often.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
It is possible to get TRV before AOR as my wife got her PPR for TRV even though we are still waiting for AOR.
Of course it's possible. In fact, almost guaranteed for those who would have qualified for TRVs in any event.

What is by no means clear at the moment is whether virtually ALL applicants for PR will now get TRVs simply because they are PR applicants. That was, in effect the promise of government. But I think most never took them seriously. I don't see it happening.

Reactions: engr.zuhair

fak21

May 3, 2014
Of course it's possible. In fact, almost guaranteed for those who would have qualified for TRVs in any event.

What is by no means clear at the moment is whether virtually ALL applicants for PR will now get TRVs simply because they are PR applicants. That was, in effect the promise of government. But I think most never took them seriously. I don't see it happening.
Right. I wonder what the acceptance percentage is. Can't seem to find any google sheets where people are tracking this (similar to the PR one)