+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New to the forums and need help!

PeculiarCupcake

Apr 17, 2015
Hey everyone!

I am a Canadian citizen and my boyfriend of 14 months is an American. He has been living with me since December 10, 2014 and his 6 months visa is about to expire. I was browsing the forums and saw that he may be able to leave Canada, come back, and have those 6 months automatically renewed instead of applying for an extension. Is this correct? If so, that would give him time to go and get his items from storage and put them into a shipping crate to be shipped here and then come back without any heavy baggage. I'd like to note that our ultimate goal is to have me sponsor him for a PR once our one year of living together is up to qualify us for common-law.

However, if we just go the route or applying for an extension, what does he (or I) have to do to prove that I am supporting him while he is living with me since he cannot legally work?

Thank you in advance for the responses, I am looking forward to getting some help from people who maybe have experienced this situation or something similar recently.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Be aware that there's no guarantee he will be allowed back into Canada if he does a border run. It's generally much safer to apply for an extension from within Canada. If you apply for an extension from within Canada and state that you are requesting an extension so that you can become common law - approval is pretty much guaranteed. It's a complete coin toss if you to a border run - he may be able to re-enter Canada or he could be denied.

PeculiarCupcake

Apr 17, 2015
Thanks for the clarification. Do you have a recommendation on where we should send our application for extension, ie. online, inland, outland?