+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New to Forum/Move to Montreal Questions

orionisastar

Oct 4, 2018
Hello,

I've had a hard time finding anyone at the consulate or VAC to answer any questions, but I think my situation is probably fairly straightforward for anyone who knows the system.

My wife (Canadian citizen, US green card holder) and I (US citizen) are considering a move with our two kids (one who has dual citizenship, the other whose paperwork is being processed) to Montreal that we would hope to complete in time for the 2019 school year.

My basic understanding so far is that my wife should apply to sponsor me through the IRCC and that we should simultaneously prepare a CSQ application that we would submit during the IRCC processing. After that, at some point I should apply for something in order to work. The last part is extremely hazy to me. I'm a teacher and would be interested in teaching in high schools or Cegeps, but know that I'm not a particularly attractive candidate without legal status to work. Nothing that I've read so far about Open Work Permits clarifies my eligibility (once you mention Quebec, all the online questionnaires end up sending me through an endless loop).

Can anyone explain this situation? Basically, what's the proper course for an American married to a Canadian citizen who wants to permanently resettle and work in Montreal supposed to follow?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I've had a hard time finding anyone at the consulate or VAC to answer any questions, but I think my situation is probably fairly straightforward for anyone who knows the system.

My wife (Canadian citizen, US green card holder) and I (US citizen) are considering a move with our two kids (one who has dual citizenship, the other whose paperwork is being processed) to Montreal that we would hope to complete in time for the 2019 school year.

My basic understanding so far is that my wife should apply to sponsor me through the IRCC and that we should simultaneously prepare a CSQ application that we would submit during the IRCC processing. After that, at some point I should apply for something in order to work. The last part is extremely hazy to me. I'm a teacher and would be interested in teaching in high schools or Cegeps, but know that I'm not a particularly attractive candidate without legal status to work. Nothing that I've read so far about Open Work Permits clarifies my eligibility (once you mention Quebec, all the online questionnaires end up sending me through an endless loop).

Can anyone explain this situation? Basically, what's the proper course for an American married to a Canadian citizen who wants to permanently resettle and work in Montreal supposed to follow?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
Hi

In order to apply for an OWP, you would actually need to come to Canada first as a visitor and then apply for inland sponsorship. There isn't really any point in doing that. Outland American sponsorship apps are processed pretty quick, usually around 6 months. Get your app in soon and you will likely be approved before you even come to Canada. If the app is still in process when you move, you could enter as a visitor.

Reactions: orionisastar

orionisastar

Oct 4, 2018
Hi

In order to apply for an OWP, you would actually need to come to Canada first as a visitor and then apply for inland sponsorship. There isn't really any point in doing that. Outland American sponsorship apps are processed pretty quick, usually around 6 months. Get your app in soon and you will likely be approved before you even come to Canada. If the app is still in process when you move, you could enter as a visitor.
Thanks... to be clear, if I get permanent residency in Canada, is my family able to move directly to Montreal? I guess I'm having trouble figuring out how Quebec recognizes PR status gained through spousal sponsorship and how that affects my ability to start applying for jobs.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks... to be clear, if I get permanent residency in Canada, is my family able to move directly to Montreal? I guess I'm having trouble figuring out how Quebec recognizes PR status gained through spousal sponsorship and how that affects my ability to start applying for jobs.
Yes, your family can move to Montreal. PR status is federal; Quebec recognizes it like every other province or territory.

Reactions: orionisastar

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
May want to see if your teaching qualifications are recognized by Quebec. Many provinces don't recognize foreign teaching credentials.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
that will be the actual problem that your qualifications will be most of the time worthless. Start checking that. Sponsorship should not be that difficult. Just be aware, that your wife has to declare upon sponsoring you that she intends to move back to Canada.

orionisastar

Oct 4, 2018
May want to see if your teaching qualifications are recognized by Quebec. Many provinces don't recognize foreign teaching credentials.
I actually don't have any teaching qualifications (aside from 12 years of teaching)--I teach at independent schools in the US, which don't require any. I do, however, have two MA degrees and PhD training, so I'm going to look at private schools and Cegeps. I've talked to people at both who have suggested that I can in theory get hired once I'm there, but might have to do some certification courses while I work. That's a separate thread, I suppose... but thank you for highlighting it.

orionisastar

Oct 4, 2018
One last follow-up question--now that I'm clear that we should simply apply for me to get permanent resident status, I'm stuck on the question of how to show our intention to resettle. Showing intention will be pretty easy--we will put our apartment in the US for sale around December and will begin bidding on properties in Montreal at the same time. But again, I'm confused about whether we should declare that we're all in on Montreal/Quebec? I just don't want to trigger a whole second track of applications if we don't have to, but my understanding is that if my wife was living in Montreal and sponsoring me while I live here, we'd be applying both to the IRCC and Quebec authorities. Would it be better to declare that we're moving in with in-laws in BC as we get set up and to put off any mention of Quebec and just move there after we've landed somewhere else?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
One last follow-up question--now that I'm clear that we should simply apply for me to get permanent resident status, I'm stuck on the question of how to show our intention to resettle. Showing intention will be pretty easy--we will put our apartment in the US for sale around December and will begin bidding on properties in Montreal at the same time. But again, I'm confused about whether we should declare that we're all in on Montreal/Quebec? I just don't want to trigger a whole second track of applications if we don't have to, but my understanding is that if my wife was living in Montreal and sponsoring me while I live here, we'd be applying both to the IRCC and Quebec authorities. Would it be better to declare that we're moving in with in-laws in BC as we get set up and to put off any mention of Quebec and just move there after we've landed somewhere else?
Not quite sure what you mean. If you plan to move to Montreal, then you need to state that and will have to apply for a CSQ.

orionisastar

Oct 4, 2018
I think just that... I'm just slowly coming to terms with the fact that I should apply for a CSQ and permanent residency while fantasizing that there was a way around it. It just feels like a lot to get processed in a year. We're considering moving because we want our kids to be bilingual, to recognize themselves as dual citizens, and to escape a really bitter atmosphere in the US that I don't think is going to improve any time soon. Montreal makes sense for us because of geography and professional reasons related to my partner's career, but it also seems immensely complicated and we're only at step one. Thanks for all your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I think just that... I'm just slowly coming to terms with the fact that I should apply for a CSQ and permanent residency while fantasizing that there was a way around it. It just feels like a lot to get processed in a year. We're considering moving because we want our kids to be bilingual, to recognize themselves as dual citizens, and to escape a really bitter atmosphere in the US that I don't think is going to improve any time soon. Montreal makes sense for us because of geography and professional reasons related to my partner's career, but it also seems immensely complicated and we're only at step one. Thanks for all your help.
I don't really understand your issue with applying for the CSQ. It really isn't a difficult process and doesn't delay the PR app. As I already stated, American outland apps average around 6 months.