+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New To Calgary

Rano2013

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Hello,

I am planing to move to Calgary on Nov 20. I will be with my wife and two kids (4 & 2).
I know it will be freezing cold, and would appreciate your advice on how to get around, what to expect, what to do etc..... I am planing to rent a furnished apartment for one or two months, so I can rent another apartment later on.
Any ideas, advises is welcome :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I best thing to do in any city is to get a car so that you can drive around and use a reliable GPS to avoid getting lost.

Rano2013

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
steaky said:
I best thing to do in any city is to get a car so that you can drive around and use a reliable GPS to avoid getting lost.
Thank you, Steaky. And more hints that can be helpful.

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
Rano2013 said:
Hello,

I am planing to move to Calgary on Nov 20. I will be with my wife and two kids (4 & 2).
I know it will be freezing cold, and would appreciate your advice on how to get around, what to expect, what to do etc..... I am planing to rent a furnished apartment for one or two months, so I can rent another apartment later on.
Any ideas, advises is welcome :)
Although it's cold , I frequently find it's exaggerated. Also the humidity is low in Calgary, you can't just judge with the temperature. However there are few days in each winter that can be really cold in January, Feb and March.

SSV70

Jun 17, 2015
Rentfaster.ca : find a house or aprtment in an area where you want to stay online, establish communication with the landlord and land in calgary, stay in a hotel for few days and move into the apartment meanwhile a rent a car till you plan to buy a car. This is provided you are insdie Canada.

Weather this year now is good still with high at ≈15°C and low in single digits. Light warm clothes are good

If you are outside Canada: I found an apartment online, requested a friend to pay an advance and then went straight to the apatment from airport and the key in the mail box. Had a communication with the landlord, he arrived at the apartment as the same time as we arrived, signed the agreement, paid him the cash for initial months till I got my bank details. tried for driving license till then used public transit, taxi etc for setting down. I stayed close to day today needs of the family, near walmart, safeway and eat outs etc

Hope this helps,

If you do not know anyone, then stay in a hotel before moving however pre-plan on the apartment

Rano2013

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
SSV70 said:
Rentfaster.ca : find a house or aprtment in an area where you want to stay online, establish communication with the landlord and land in calgary, stay in a hotel for few days and move into the apartment meanwhile a rent a car till you plan to buy a car. This is provided you are insdie Canada.

Weather this year now is good still with high at ≈15°C and low in single digits. Light warm clothes are good

If you are outside Canada: I found an apartment online, requested a friend to pay an advance and then went straight to the apatment from airport and the key in the mail box. Had a communication with the landlord, he arrived at the apartment as the same time as we arrived, signed the agreement, paid him the cash for initial months till I got my bank details. tried for driving license till then used public transit, taxi etc for setting down. I stayed close to day today needs of the family, near walmart, safeway and eat outs etc

Hope this helps,

If you do not know anyone, then stay in a hotel before moving however pre-plan on the apartment
Thank you.
That's the thing, I don't know anybody there.

nagrish

Star Member
Jun 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.immigrantservicescalgary.ca/how-can-we-help/newcomer-support

this may be some help in getting to know people :)