+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New timeline for refugee eligibility/initial assessment and final decision for claim???

Samsung1234

Jan 20, 2018
Hi all

Can you guys clarify a few things please?

If someone goes to CIC office to apply for refugee claim, do they determine eligibility on the spot?

Does the person then return with all their documents and forms?

Are they then expected to go before the board within 60 days?

I hear there's big delay *anywhere from 10 months to 24 months now) so I'm trying to understand.

CICwebsite says:

Step 1: Initial assessment

19 month(s)

Step 2: Final decision

10 month(s)

Is the initial assesment when they determine if you're eligible?

Is the total processing time now 29 months? I'm confused

Sorry for all the questions

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - they do not determine eligibility on the spot.

Yes - there are big delays these days and very few are appearing for their initial hearings within 60 days. Yes - the processing times you have quoted look about right (i.e. 29 months total).

Reactions: gavendano

Samsung1234

Jan 20, 2018
Thank you for answering

So if they don't determine your eligibility right away, what DO they do? Just give you documents to fill?

hnd2018

Mar 6, 2018
Hello!

1. When someone goes to an inland CIC office for the first time they verify that the person has all the forms and Identity documents required to make a claim. If they don't, they give you information on contacting legal aid for you to call to see if you qualify for legal representation plus the list of forms and documents to bring.
It is after establishing that you have all the required documentation when they schedule an eligibility review (depending on the office this can be a second appointment).
2. Currently, they are not expected to go for a hearing in 60 days. "February 20, 2018 – Ottawa, ON – The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is changing its scheduling practice for refugee hearings and will now be hearing claims primarily in the order in which they were received." You can read more here: http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/NewsNouv/NewNou/Pages/hearing-schedule.aspx
So this means, that most cases are being scheduled for more than 60 days because of the change above. Older cases are now receiving priority.

3.The CIC website unfortunately does not give a timeline for processing times since it is the IRB's jurisdiction and not CIC, so the one timeline you found is for when the person has become a convention refugee/protected person (refugee claim accepted by the IRB) and is submitting an application to CIC to become permanent resident.

Hoping this helps :)

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think the 29 months you are quoting is the time to get PR. You will need to apply for asylum first which will take approximately 20 months but I suspect the wait time could get longer. Then you need to apply for PR which will take 29 months. It is at that point you can reunite with family members.

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
I don't know the current timeline for the refugee claim eligibility interviews with CIC, but once your claim is referred to IRB it will take about 20 months (in my view the number is 24) before you have a refugee hearing.

Samsung1234

Jan 20, 2018
Think the 29 months you are quoting is the time to get PR. You will need to apply for asylum first which will take approximately 20 months but I suspect the wait time could get longer. Then you need to apply for PR which will take 29 months. It is at that point you can reunite with family members.
Thanks for your answer

Where are you geting the 20months from?

Samsung1234

Jan 20, 2018
I don't know the current timeline for the refugee claim eligibility interviews with CIC, but once your claim is referred to IRB it will take about 20 months (in my view the number is 24) before you have a refugee hearing.
Thanks for the answer. Seems 20 'onths is the consensus. Where are you getting that number?

Samsung1234

Jan 20, 2018
Hello!

1. When someone goes to an inland CIC office for the first time they verify that the person has all the forms and Identity documents required to make a claim. If they don't, they give you information on contacting legal aid for you to call to see if you qualify for legal representation plus the list of forms and documents to bring.
It is after establishing that you have all the required documentation when they schedule an eligibility review (depending on the office this can be a second appointment).
2. Currently, they are not expected to go for a hearing in 60 days. "February 20, 2018 – Ottawa, ON – The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is changing its scheduling practice for refugee hearings and will now be hearing claims primarily in the order in which they were received." You can read more here: http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/NewsNouv/NewNou/Pages/hearing-schedule.aspx
So this means, that most cases are being scheduled for more than 60 days because of the change above. Older cases are now receiving priority.

3.The CIC website unfortunately does not give a timeline for processing times since it is the IRB's jurisdiction and not CIC, so the one timeline you found is for when the person has become a convention refugee/protected person (refugee claim accepted by the IRB) and is submitting an application to CIC to become permanent resident.

Hoping this helps :)
This was very helpful. Thanks

Ratmir

Jun 9, 2017
hi everyone,

I have some questions just wondering maybe other also interested.

one of my friends more than year does not works and he only stays on welfare, can not find normal work as he says
he has not yet had his hearing,

but i argue with him that it is not good, you should not stay on welfare, even start to pay taxes, earn little but should be your own money..

for my opinion it is not good, one , two months is good, to stay on your feet but too long is very bad.

and i think i could also effect to the decision made on his hearing as well.

question is - who has facts about it? maybe someone had issues with that,

just post it to show the answers ..

thanks in advance

Refugeee

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
hi everyone,

I have some questions just wondering maybe other also interested.

one of my friends more than year does not works and he only stays on welfare, can not find normal work as he says
he has not yet had his hearing,

but i argue with him that it is not good, you should not stay on welfare, even start to pay taxes, earn little but should be your own money..

for my opinion it is not good, one , two months is good, to stay on your feet but too long is very bad.

and i think i could also effect to the decision made on his hearing as well.

question is - who has facts about it? maybe someone had issues with that,

just post it to show the answers ..

thanks in advance
You are completely wrong.
You social status has absolutely Nada to do with your hearing.
I speak via experience.

Reactions: derin1010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i know it is your private things but is it possible share with us, or some other maybe you know.
Yes being accepted as a refugee is not dependent on whether you receive social assistance. Many refugees arrive in Canada without the necessary language skills or may be single parents of young children. If you are able to work and habe been granted a work permit Canada does expect you to try your best and establish yourself amd work until you get your hearing.