+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New SIN on permanent residence to replace temporary "9" SIN

johnmccoy

Jun 17, 2013
Call Equifax to update your new SIN number on your credit file. While other types of credit checks rarely use the SIN, you'll eventually need it later if you want to get a mortgage when they verify your identity.
I'm going through that right now and it's not easy.

You'll need:
- Equifax consumer info update form (cant post links so search on Google for this one)
- Photocopy 2 pieces of primary ID
- Photocopy 1 secondary ID (phone bill, etc).

HeroHarman

Jan 26, 2016
Hi all,

I am about to be Permanent Residence of Canada. Right now I am on work permit. And I have some tuition credit from my few years study as an international student. I know my SIN will be changed when I apply for new at Service Canada after crossing border. As per comments in this thread, my '9' one SIN and new SIN will be linked together.

Can anyone please tell me that my tuition credits will be carried forward or not after becoming PR?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HeroHarman said:
Hi all,

I am about to be Permanent Residence of Canada. Right now I am on work permit. And I have some tuition credit from my few years study as an international student. I know my SIN will be changed when I apply for new at Service Canada after crossing border. As per comments in this thread, my '9' one SIN and new SIN will be linked together.

Can anyone please tell me that my tuition credits will be carried forward or not after becoming PR?
Yes

moko369

Aug 28, 2015
Hi guys,

I just received the CoPR letter, haven't done the landing yet. Do you know when I will be able to get the new SIN? Do I have to apply at a local Service Canada office?

Thanks.

janeleith

Mar 3, 2016
moko369 said:
Hi guys,

I just received the CoPR letter, haven't done the landing yet. Do you know when I will be able to get the new SIN? Do I have to apply at a local Service Canada office?

Thanks.
After landing, you go to Service Canada and they will issue a new SIN to you right away. You will have a piece of paper with your new SIN before you walk out of the Service Canada building.

Thanks

Wisper

Star Member
Aug 2, 2014
janeleith said:
After landing, you go to Service Canada and they will issue a new SIN to you right away. You will have a piece of paper with your new SIN before you walk out of the Service Canada building.

Thanks
I got a new SIN on Monday and I called CRA yesterday letting them know this change, only been told that it may take a month to merge all the information together.
While I already did my taxes using the old one starts with 9, I can wait until late May and call again to see. I already notified my employer about it.

Wisper

Star Member
Aug 2, 2014
New update: After one business week looks like my 9 SIN has been deactivated, because my old account on CRA cannot be logged on.

I will say Service Canada already merged them together and I am waiting on CRA to mail me access code for my new account.

Boviesam

Jun 21, 2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
Guys

I had a question. What if I dont want to update my employer with my Sin no. I'll be anyways leaving the company in 3 weeks. So would letting go three weeks on my old 9 Sin no. be ok? Or would it create any problem?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Guys

I had a question. What if I dont want to update my employer with my Sin no. I'll be anyways leaving the company in 3 weeks. So would letting go three weeks on my old 9 Sin no. be ok? Or would it create any problem?
Well you should update them because they have to issue your T4 for 2016 under the new SIN in order for you to file your income tax

Boviesam

Jun 21, 2015
AOR Received.
06-05-2017
Well you should update them because they have to issue your T4 for 2016 under the new SIN in order for you to file your income tax
Thanks,

But are they just going to take my SIN no. or any other document too like my COPR.

I got my new SIN ten days ago, I hope they won't say anything for not submitting it right away within three days

lotiaal1

Apr 9, 2016
I got a new SIN after receiving my PR. Although I informed my company well before I got my T4, the T4 I just received still has my old sin number on it. So my question is, do I use the old sin number or the new one for my tax returns? My HR said since the T4 is for 2019 and I got my PR in 2020, the T4 should have my old sin number (but they didn't seem sure). When I file my taxes, should I enter my new SIN even though my T4 has my old SIN? Since the two numbers are linked can I just use my SIN number interchangeably?

Reactions: dsj159

Parsifal

Star Member
Feb 2, 2016
New update: After one business week looks like my 9 SIN has been deactivated, because my old account on CRA cannot be logged on.

I will say Service Canada already merged them together and I am waiting on CRA to mail me access code for my new account.
Hi,
Once you received your new permanent SIN, did you also lose your ROEs and EI claims associated with the older SIN?
Thank you

dsj159

Star Member
Jan 1, 2020
I got a new SIN after receiving my PR. Although I informed my company well before I got my T4, the T4 I just received still has my old sin number on it. So my question is, do I use the old sin number or the new one for my tax returns? My HR said since the T4 is for 2019 and I got my PR in 2020, the T4 should have my old sin number (but they didn't seem sure). When I file my taxes, should I enter my new SIN even though my T4 has my old SIN? Since the two numbers are linked can I just use my SIN number interchangeably?
Waiting to know the answer to this query. did you file with new sin or old sin?