+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New SIN after PR?

Sphinx1285

Nov 1, 2022
Hi All,

I’ve been living in Canada since 2021 on an ICT work permit. I recently got my PR approved and wanted to know if I can continue using my current SIN or if I should apply for a new one?

thanks

Ashish2589

Star Member
Dec 3, 2020
Manitoba
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi All,

I’ve been living in Canada since 2021 on an ICT work permit. I recently got my PR approved and wanted to know if I can continue using my current SIN or if I should apply for a new one?

thanks
Which company you were for ICT? what documents for provided for Employment ? did you claim 50 points for employment?

cz999

Feb 1, 2020
NOC Code......
Yes you should apply for a new one (one that doesn’t start with 9). Just go on services Canada’s website and apply under ‘change the status of your SIN’ and submit your ecopr and IDs etc.

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
As soon as you get your eCOPR apply for the SIN. It takes about 2-3 weeks and you will get a new SIN which doesn't start with 9.

Reactions: Sphinx1285

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Should apply for new SIN, Work permit SIN begins with number 9 so that will change, it’s very easy and the process can be done online

Sphinx1285

Nov 1, 2022
Are there other things that require a change after switching from work permit to PR? Apart from SIN that is

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Are there other things that require a change after switching from work permit to PR? Apart from SIN that is
i recall few things which I did

update status with my employer
change on SIN
update bank records for change in SIN
update PR status of my kids at school
update status on health card as now you will need service card with your photo on it
applied SIN for my kids since on work permit they were Not provided any SIN

I only recall these things which I did

crunchyfrappe8

Star Member
Feb 2, 2023
Hi all, I'm an outlander and wanted to apply for SIN from my home country. Now since I haven't landed in Canada, my COPR is not signed by me yet. Is it still a valid document to apply for SIN? Please let me know, thanks!

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi all, I'm an outlander and wanted to apply for SIN from my home country. Now since I haven't landed in Canada, my COPR is not signed by me yet. Is it still a valid document to apply for SIN? Please let me know, thanks!
No it’s not yet valid and activated . You should wait . Once you land and it is signed you can apply that time .

coco2018

Dec 5, 2018
update status with my employer
change on SIN
update bank records for change in SIN
update PR status of my kids at school
update status on health card as now you will need service card with your photo on it
applied SIN for my kids since on work permit they were Not provided any SIN
Hi gaurav1282,

I wonder if I can also apply photo service card once I receive the ecoPR. Will I need to bring a photo to apply for the service card with photo? thank you

gaurav1282

Aug 20, 2013
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi gaurav1282,

I wonder if I can also apply photo service card once I receive the ecoPR. Will I need to bring a photo to apply for the service card with photo? thank you
yes with écopr you will need to apply that’s what I said above service card with photo, they take photo at the center
i believe you have option to have combined driving license and service card but I keep them separate