Not required
Passport Req..
Already submitted along with the file
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
Hi everyone,

I made this post here because I saw some students asking if they can get their SIN starting June 1st without a job offer and off campus work permit.

I went today to Canada Services and got my SIN in 15 minutes. They only need your study permit and you fill an application, then you get it! However, I saw something weird happened to two different students today while they were trying to get their SIN. The employee told them that they cannot get their SIN because their Study Permit does not state that they can accept work during studies...(I don't think they are exchange students..)

They were told to get a new study permit so they can get a SIN.

Check your study permit before you go and Good luck!

WaseemWasii

Mar 20, 2013
SSHanna said:
Hi everyone,

I made this post here because I saw some students asking if they can get their SIN starting June 1st without a job offer and off campus work permit.

I went today to Canada Services and got my SIN in 15 minutes. They only need your study permit and you fill an application, then you get it! However, I saw something weird happened to two different students today while they were trying to get their SIN. The employee told them that they cannot get their SIN because their Study Permit does not state that they can accept work during studies...(I don't think they are exchange students..)

You are Lucky that You Got it somehow.. CIC has Given a Proper way to Get SIN #

For All those Students who arrived to canada Before June 1st and Who Don't have work Permit to work.

CIC has Updated The Rules for Off Campus Work Permit as Decided from June 1st.

They are required to get a letter from University which states that You are currently enrolled and full time student.

Now what you have to do is to Send that letter to CIC Through the link

https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/.../canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

Fill in all your details.

CIC will send you a proper document which will state that this person is allowed to get SIN #.

After getting that document you can go to SERVICE CANADA and Get your SIN #.

source :http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
WOW! That's weird!! I was not asked to show any of that! Same happened with other people! I guess yea we were lucky haha

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
SSHanna said:
Hi everyone,

and u also need confirmation letter from CIC

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
^ That's what CIC website says, However,Canada Services gave it today to students without needing that CIC confirmation letter!

fazeel

Jan 26, 2011
Pakistan
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SSHanna said:
Hi everyone,

Dear, what is SIN? Plz guide

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
^ Social Insurance Number?

lovedeepsingh

Oct 15, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
IELTS Request
25-12-2013
Med's Done....
30-1-2014
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2014
LANDED..........
2 Aug 2014
SSHanna said:
^ Social Insurance Number?
Can we apply it online?
We can apply only if our classes have been started or we can soply earlier also?
Like my classes will start on 1 Sept and i will be in Canada on 2 August so can i apply it in August?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

SSHanna said:
Hi everyone,

That happened because they opted for 'SP without off campus work permit option' while creating a visa checklist on CIC website.

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
Sukh wele shukrana, dukh wele ardaas... har wele simran!!
sharjeel91 said:
and u also need confirmation letter from CIC
What about those students who already have SIN because of previous on-campus job? I already had SIN. Service Canada said I don't need to visit them anymore. Do I still apply for confirmation letter? And how long does it take to process it?

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
lovedeepsingh said:
Can we apply it online?
We can apply only if our classes have been started or we can soply earlier also?
Like my classes will start on 1 Sept and i will be in Canada on 2 August so can i apply it in August?
no u have to apply for SIN in person there is mailing option for those who dont have service canada office within 50km but if u have then u have apply in person and it takes 15 minutes

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
Wordlife said:
What about those students who already have SIN because of previous on-campus job? I already had SIN. Service Canada said I don't need to visit them anymore. Do I still apply for confirmation letter? And how long does it take to process it?
u dont have to visit anywhere ur now allowed to work off campus

bensuomi

Dec 3, 2013
well to my opinion the work permit was better because it took fewer days to get a reply, this take 30 days, the only difference is that with the work permit you pays money

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
WaseemWasii said:
You are Lucky that You Got it somehow.. CIC has Given a Proper way to Get SIN #

For All those Students who arrived to canada Before June 1st and Who Don't have work Permit to work.

CIC has Updated The Rules for Off Campus Work Permit as Decided from June 1st.

They are required to get a letter from University which states that You are currently enrolled and full time student.

Now what you have to do is to Send that letter to CIC Through the link

https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/.../canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

Fill in all your details.

CIC will send you a proper document which will state that this person is allowed to get SIN #.

After getting that document you can go to SERVICE CANADA and Get your SIN #.

source :http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp
I applied mine last week, now I just wondering how many days it will take to process.

bensuomi

Dec 3, 2013
the work permit take only 4 days to process
the confirmation letter takes 30 days, the only difference is that you have to pay a fee for a work permit