+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New rules - Are you aware?

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are all people applying for their Canadian visas aware of the new rule changes? Now, your time here in Canada as a student is NOT counted towards citizenship.

If citizenship is your goal, please, dont make your plans based on current rules. They are changing and, do not favour students.

I would highly recommend you all to look at other countries and their options (UK, Australia etc) before you decide on Canada.

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zeeshan.139 said:
can you elaborate please
Read this
http://www.settlement.org/sys/whatshappen_detail.asp?anno_id=2015432

You can also google Bill C-24 for more info.

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Adithya03 said:
uk ???? heard it's diff to get even pr in uk :D job markets down ?
Yup, but the rules are not discriminatory. Canada is passing a law that is discriminatory and completely disregards your contribution to society as a student. That is why I feel that everyone should be aware of the changes and should take their decisions only after getting complete information.

For example, as a student, we come here and spend 4 years/2 years, pay double the amount in fee, pay our taxes, positively contribute to society -- and then they tell us that our pre-PR time is not counted towards citizenship time calculation because we, apparently, have no love for this country till we become a PR.

Thats why I am recommending that if u r coming to Canada with the intention of becoming a citizen then be aware that your time till you become a PR is invalid. hence, it is better to apply for PR and then come here -- you will pay less fee and your time will be calculated. Many other wester countries do consider some part of your pre-PR time and, hence, I would suggest to look at other countries too

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hell911 said:
citizenship is so far. go get PR first. :p
Agreed. But, as I have said that if u r planning to become a citizen of this country then be aware of the rules that are changing --- and these rules are discriminatory against students and foreign workers.

So, if you have a choice between immigrating to Canada and some other one, then, you should look at the rules that will come into effect and not take into account the current rules.

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Adithya03 said:
hope this bill is not passed or is it passed ?
The bill has already been passed, thats why I have started this thread. I really feel that students coming here should be made aware of how the new rules will affect them.

To put it in perspective, if you come here to study for your bachelors, you spend 4 years in college + 1 year on your PGWP before you are eligible to apply for PR. Only after you get your PR (say, 6-9 months) does your eligibility to become a citizen starts - which is 4 years. That means it could be 10 years after you have arrived here that you could become a citizen. That is provided someone doesnt change any more rules.

Whereas a person that comes in as PR would have his/her eligibility time started immediately and, technically can become a citizen within 4 years.

So, you, as a student would...

1) pay double the fees than a PR
2) pay taxes for at least 5 years more than a new PR
3) have already become a useful contributor to society

BUT, your contribution is not being counted. And, the new PR has more advantages than you do.

And, thats why I say, if becoming a citizen is your goal then, be aware of these changes and how they are so discriminatory. And, you should re-evaluate if you want to spend all that money. Maybe, apply for PR before coming here. You dont have to pay as much and, you are at an advantage.

tipsy

Oct 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Med's Request
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
01-12-2018
Interview........
30-04-2019
Things are changing fast in Canada. :eek:

singh-ak

Sep 18, 2013
I guess the new rules are not discriminatory they want people to stay in Canada and be part of the country for long run and not for 1-2 years that's why they have stopped temporary work visa's instead they will start immigration process similar to Australia in 2015.

If you say that they don't want more citizens or PR's then why did they include more job profiles under FSW program and why did they increased the cap?
It is but obvious that they want a person who is capable of earning his bread in a field which is not having enough Canadians.

As a student you are getting enough as part of work permit.

If you think Canada is discriminating then even we are not doing good by lying in our SOP's.

hell911

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Im going for 2 yr diploma + 1 year pgw. Then i can apply for pr, after pr, need 4 more years to get ctznshp. Total of 7 yrs to get ctizenship, right?

Im not too worried about getting citzenship, right now what important is work and pr only.

singh-ak

Sep 18, 2013
hell911 said:
Im going for 2 yr diploma + 1 year pgw. Then i can apply for pr, after pr, need 4 more years to get ctznshp. Total of 7 yrs to get ctizenship, right?

Im not too worried about getting citzenship, right now what important is work and pr only.
2 year Diploma will give you 3 years PGWP :)

Hopefulagain

Apr 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
singh-ak said:
I guess the new rules are not discriminatory they want people to stay in Canada and be part of the country for long run and not for 1-2 years that's why they have stopped temporary work visa's instead they will start immigration process similar to Australia in 2015.

If you say that they don't want more citizens or PR's then why did they include more job profiles under FSW program and why did they increased the cap?
It is but obvious that they want a person who is capable of earning his bread in a field which is not having enough Canadians.

As a student you are getting enough as part of work permit.

If you think Canada is discriminating then even we are not doing good by lying in our SOP's.
1) So then please explain to me why a person who has been in Canada for , say, 4 years as student and has found a job here and then applied for PR is not allowed to calculate their pre-PR time for citizenship? Do you think that only after a person has become a PR will he or she be invested enough to remain in Canada? If you think so, I would highly recommend you to go to the premanent residency obligation part of this site and see for yourself how many people leave Canada after getting their PR.

2) the reason they are very interested for people to keep applying for work permits and student visa is because that makes them money. They want to make money off us but believe that we are not invested in this country, which is not true. because we are invested in this country, thats why we are here. Definitely more than those people that became PRs directly and didnt have to go through all the troubles that we as students went through.

Adithya03

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
but before itself they calculated pre pr as half a day so meaning each day is half a day in past four years calculation right ? but i feel they want to earn more revenue frm students and who wants to stay and get pr and citizenship do others leave like they saying i fell, hope they dont stop giving pr and pg work permit