+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Rule: 2, 1 year certificates(or 1+1,8+8) will now only give 2 years PGWP?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
The PGWP would map to length of the combined programs so 20 months. Not sure this is any different to the previous guidelines even for a single program where any program between 8-23 months would have have a PGWP issued to the equivalent program time.

. Ultimately expect visa officers do have some discretion but with the new guidelines the implication seems to be that the combined length of taking two programs must exceed 2 years to get 3 year PGWP, anything 2 years or less would map only to the combined total of the two programs as stated in any completion letter
Yes, this is the same thing I have been saying. It may be bad for some people but atleast they are more clear on what you are elegible for.

thisistsb

Feb 12, 2019
Yes, this is the same thing I have been saying. It may be bad for some people but atleast they are more clear on what you are elegible for.
I am enrolled in a two year diploma. But if i do not take any scheduled break then my program will finish in 1.5 year as there are 4 semesters in it and there are three semesters in a normal year. So what will be the length of my pgwp afterwards??

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I am enrolled in a two year diploma. But if i do not take any scheduled break then my program will finish in 1.5 year as there are 4 semesters in it and there are three semesters in a normal year. So what will be the length of my pgwp afterwards??
This is what CIC says about accelerated studies

Accelerated studies
If a student completes their studies in less time than the normal length of the program (that is, they have accelerated their studies), the post-graduation work permit should be assessed on the length of the program of study.

For example, if the student is enrolled in a program of study that is normally 1 year in duration, but the student completes the requirements for the program of study within 8 months, they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit that is valid for 1 year.

thisistsb

Feb 12, 2019
This is what CIC says about accelerated studies

Accelerated studies
If a student completes their studies in less time than the normal length of the program (that is, they have accelerated their studies), the post-graduation work permit should be assessed on the length of the program of study.

For example, if the student is enrolled in a program of study that is normally 1 year in duration, but the student completes the requirements for the program of study within 8 months, they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit that is valid for 1 year.
That simply means i will also get 3 years work permit . ?? Or wil it be 2 years as of my programs length?

Last edited:

Brego7

Mar 12, 2019
Hey guys,
I am thinking of studying at Humber for information technology solutions in January 2020. It is a 2 year ontario graduate certificate. I will study 4 semesters without a summer break and graduate by may 2021. Since I don't have a summer break and will finish 4 semesters in 1.5 years will my PGWP be 3 years or 1.5 years for 4 semesters of studying with this new rule?

Thank you

Janithahetti04

Star Member
May 17, 2020
A representative told that, public funded universities or colleges are eligible to offer 2 years PGWP if I choose 1 year graduate program. And university will decide if it is 1 year or 2 years work permit after I get the offer letter from university..

I couldn't see this information at anywhere on GC website. Is it true?

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
A representative told that, public funded universities or colleges are eligible to offer 2 years PGWP if I choose 1 year graduate program. And university will decide if it is 1 year or 2 years work permit after I get the offer letter from university..

I couldn't see this information at anywhere on GC website. Is it true?
This doesn't seem to be correct information. University has not role in deciding the length of the PGWP.

Reactions: Janithahetti04