+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

new refugee claimant seeking advice.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Do I need to write all the details in the BOC Form or wait to bring my story with me at the hearing?
If your story is long enought to fit on BOC form, write it in separate page and write “narration attached” on BOC form.. So write your story, memorize, support with evidence before your hearing

Stephie@31

Aug 26, 2019
Someone told me I can send the BOC Form without the story and then they’ll ask me later to send them the whole thing.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Someone told me I can send the BOC Form without the story and then they’ll ask me later to send them the whole thing.
They wont ask you to send your story later. They’ll use your justification for claiming asylum as filled out in your BOC and use that for eligibility interview… Stop listening to someone, speak with your lawyer

Reactions: Masjuy

Stephie@31

Aug 26, 2019
They wont ask you to send your story later. They’ll use your justification for claiming asylum as filled out in your BOC and use that for eligibility interview… Stop listening to someone, speak with your lawyer
Thank you very much!

alice888

Feb 13, 2021
You should essentially claim asylum in Vancouver, quarantine and then go to Toronto. Asylum claim timelines vary from 6 months to over 12 months depending on how long it takes to get an initial eligibility hearing. Although welfare is available if needed would suggest working if at all possible. Asylum claims are risky so really should always be the last resort. Assume you have explored economic immigration programs and consulted with a Canadian immigration attorney about your chances of success.

Assume you currently meet the travel exemptions.
I need the welfare. If I make the claim in Vancouver, can I apply for Ontario welfare in Toronto? How should I deal with the welfare problem? I know each province has their own welfare application system right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I need the welfare. If I make the claim in Vancouver, can I apply for Ontario welfare in Toronto? How should I deal with the welfare problem? I know each province has their own welfare application system right?
If you are planning on moving to Toronto soon after arrival there is no point applying for welfare in BC. By the time you qualify you may already be in Ontario. You must advise the welfare office as soon as you leave the province since you must live in the province to qualify for welfare.

It doesn’t sound like you have an immediate family member living in Canada or have received special authorization to travel. Assume you must only need an ETA since there is no mention of a TRV. It could be quite a while until friends are able to fly to Canada.