+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

new refugee claimant seeking advice.

alice888

Feb 13, 2021
HI

I am going to make a refugee claim at Vancouver airport. But the place I really want to go is Toronto. Do you know how I could transfer my claim to Toronto?

And If I apply for social assistance in Vancouver, and afterwards I move to Toronto, do I need to apply for social assistance in Toronto again, while cancelling what I am receiving in Vancouver?

And what kind of ID can I use for the flight from Vancouver to Toronto, given my passport will be seized by the government?

Thanks.

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
Well every Provence treat Asylum sicker differently, and the understanding of the officers are different too. If you enter Canada through a Provence which where not use to getting Asylum sicker that much be rest assure that they may not have an assistance for you However transferring your from one Provence to another is make possible by lawyers at your own expense. As for ID once your found legible to claim Asylum in Canada you will be provided with an ID which you can travel and work with cross Canada.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
HI

I am going to make a refugee claim at Vancouver airport. But the place I really want to go is Toronto. Do you know how I could transfer my claim to Toronto?

And If I apply for social assistance in Vancouver, and afterwards I move to Toronto, do I need to apply for social assistance in Toronto again, while cancelling what I am receiving in Vancouver?

And what kind of ID can I use for the flight from Vancouver to Toronto, given my passport will be seized by the government?

Thanks.
Why not apply in Toronto, if at all that is your preferred destination?

Reactions: Buletruck

alice888

Feb 13, 2021
Well every Provence treat Asylum sicker differently, and the understanding of the officers are different too. If you enter Canada through a Provence which where not use to getting Asylum sicker that much be rest assure that they may not have an assistance for you However transferring your from one Provence to another is make possible by lawyers at your own expense. As for ID once your found legible to claim Asylum in Canada you will be provided with an ID which you can travel and work with cross Canada.
Thanks for your reply.

Sakr77

Oct 6, 2020
i would recommend that your claim asylum in Vancouver as there are less asylum seekers there than Toronto which will make your case faster. you can then move to Toronto after your case is accepted. Transferring your case to another province will delay the processing of your case for sure.

alice888

Feb 13, 2021
i would recommend that your claim asylum in Vancouver as there are less asylum seekers there than Toronto which will make your case faster. you can then move to Toronto after your case is accepted. Transferring your case to another province will delay the processing of your case for sure.
Thanks for your information. But I have some friends in Toronto, I desparately needs their help. I want to live with them.

So what do you mean by "after your case is accepted'? How long is it going to take?

Right after I make the claim in Vancouver, can I move to Toronto immediately? Say right after I finish the quarantine, can I move?

I don't mind the waiting time. It won't make much difference for my situation.

Sakr77

Oct 6, 2020
Thanks for your information. But I have some friends in Toronto, I desparately needs their help. I want to live with them.

So what do you mean by "after your case is accepted'? How long is it going to take?

Right after I make the claim in Vancouver, can I move to Toronto immediately? Say right after I finish the quarantine, can I move?

I don't mind the waiting time. It won't make much difference for my situation.
how long it takes for your case to be reviewed depends on your nationality. In my case i come from a country where our cases are determined without a hearing so it took me 6 months to get accepted .

i would suggest that you fly directly to Toronto rather than Vancouver because transferring your case will be time and money consuming as you would need to pay your lawyer.

alice888

Feb 13, 2021
how long it takes for your case to be reviewed depends on your nationality. In my case i come from a country where our cases are determined without a hearing so it took me 6 months to get accepted .

i would suggest that you fly directly to Toronto rather than Vancouver because transferring your case will be time and money consuming as you would need to pay your lawyer.
yes, I know.But there is some realistic difficulty that I can not make to Toronto.

feltaye

Dec 28, 2016

Can you share your timeline?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
yes, I know.But there is some realistic difficulty that I can not make to Toronto.
You can connect from Vancouver to Toronto and file your claim. Processing time can be pretty much the same but depending on your origin and members availability. It waiting time doesnt concern you, then book a flight after quarantine to Toronto and file your claim. That way, you spare them from administrative work to transfer your file. I guess you can connect right after your quarantine, so we are talking about within 7days after arrival, wont make a difference

Sakr77

Oct 6, 2020
You can connect from Vancouver to Toronto and file your claim. Processing time can be pretty much the same but depending on your origin and members availability. It waiting time doesnt concern you, then book a flight after quarantine to Toronto and file your claim. That way, you spare them from administrative work to transfer your file. I guess you can connect right after your quarantine, so we are talking about within 7days after arrival, wont make a difference
he/she has two options. Either to claim asylum at port of entry or after he/she enters at ircc. if they opt to claim asylum at the point of entry then they can only do it at the first point of entry which is Vancouver airport in this case.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
he/she has two options. Either to claim asylum at port of entry or after he/she enters at ircc. if they opt to claim asylum at the point of entry then they can only do it at the first point of entry which is Vancouver airport in this case.
That may or may not be the case. Depends on what kind of visa the OP holds. If they hold a visa that allows them to enter Canada (e.g. TRV, work permit, etc.), then they have the options you've outlined.

If they only have a transit visa, then they need to claim asylum at the POE in Vancouver.

Reactions: Sakr77

alice888

Feb 13, 2021
:D
That may or may not be the case. Depends on what kind of visa the OP holds. If they hold a visa that allows them to enter Canada (e.g. TRV, work permit, etc.), then they have the options you've outlined.

If they only have a transit visa, then they need to claim asylum at the POE in Vancouver.
I would have to make the claim at the port of entry.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
:D

I would have to make the claim at the port of entry.
You should essentially claim asylum in Vancouver, quarantine and then go to Toronto. Asylum claim timelines vary from 6 months to over 12 months depending on how long it takes to get an initial eligibility hearing. Although welfare is available if needed would suggest working if at all possible. Asylum claims are risky so really should always be the last resort. Assume you have explored economic immigration programs and consulted with a Canadian immigration attorney about your chances of success.

Assume you currently meet the travel exemptions.