+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PRs having luck finding a housing in this pandemic?

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Thought I would create this thread for new PRs to share experiences or ideas in finding housing amid this pandemic. It's been hard to get a SIN or a Job. Has the requirements been eased? Rents gone down?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thought I would create this thread for new PRs to share experiences or ideas in finding housing amid this pandemic. It's been hard to get a SIN or a Job. Has the requirements been eased? Rents gone down?
will vary significantly based on where you live. Many cities still have their low vacancy rate so would not expect decreases in rent. The rent in oil job areas may decrease when/if people get laid off and people leave the area. That won’t happen right away.

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
will vary significantly based on where you live. Many cities still have their low vacancy rate so would not expect decreases in rent. The rent in oil job areas may decrease when/if people get laid off and people leave the area. That won’t happen right away.
In Vancouver (and I believe Toronto) there has been a huge increase in listings because Airbnb bookings are down and properties that were Airbnbs are now being rented out regularly.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Vancouver (and I believe Toronto) there has been a huge increase in listings because Airbnb bookings are down and properties that were Airbnbs are now being rented out regularly.
Rental and Airbnbs are not the same markets. In Vancouver, Airbnb requires a business license in order to operate and (despite Airbnb bookings are down) I don't think units will be converted from Airbnb to long term.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Rental and Airbnbs are not the same markets. In Vancouver, Airbnb requires a business license in order to operate and (despite Airbnb bookings are down) I don't think units will be converted from Airbnb to long term.
They already have been. Plenty of converted airbnbs on the market now, people just need to make sure they sign a formal provincial lease agreement as airbnb owners are trying to sneak short term not completely legal rentals on people even now.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They already have been. Plenty of converted airbnbs on the market now, people just need to make sure they sign a formal provincial lease agreement as airbnb owners are trying to sneak short term not completely legal rentals on people even now.
But there are still plenty of unconverted in the market. Airbnb still in demand.

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Where would you recommend to find these places? Also, what to lookout for in the lease terms?
We are looking for a short term place to stay in Vancouver until we figure where one of us would find employment. I think probably a month-to-month lease would be ideal for us.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Where would you recommend to find these places? Also, what to lookout for in the lease terms?
We are looking for a short term place to stay in Vancouver until we figure where one of us would find employment. I think probably a month-to-month lease would be ideal for us.
Like the poster above said, if you are looking for a month to month, I would probably still advise to look into airbnbs, they are still available and probably discounted. Once you need something long term, I advise to hire a real estate agent - their services for you are free (they are paid by the landlord once you sign a lease). They will also be able to advise you of things to watch out for and all necessary documents that need to be signed.

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
Whole property Airbnbs were banned in Vancouver in it's impossible to get a business license for them. The only legitimate Airbnb letting is single rooms in owners properties.

Once the COVID-19 crisis really kicked in, the number of listings on Craigslist for furnished condos in Vancouver practically doubled in a very short space of time. I would say most of them were previously (illegally) listed on Airbnb.

Mohamed123

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Hi Guys, i am a PR holder but am a non resident living in Dubai currently, i am planning on visiting Toronto with my family who are Canadian citizens in december. What i want to know can i rent a car and drive using my UAE drivers license or an international drivers license even though i have been a PR holder for about 2 years now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys, i am a PR holder but am a non resident living in Dubai currently, i am planning on visiting Toronto with my family who are Canadian citizens in december. What i want to know can i rent a car and drive using my UAE drivers license or an international drivers license even though i have been a PR holder for about 2 years now.
Yes if you are over 25 and have an international drivers license.