+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR - travel to US - ESTA question

B4

Jul 5, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I received my Canadian PR card last week (yay!!) and am planning a trip to the US. As a Dutch citizen I am part of the Visa Waiver Plan and can just enter with an ESTA. However, the form has this question: "Have you ever been issued a passport or national identity card for travel by any other country?" Is my PR card considered a national identity card for travel? Since I cannot travel with only the card, and it is mainly to be let back into Canada... I am confused.

Hope someone knows the answer :)

Thanks,
-B

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Because Im already in Canada and want to leave Canada and enter the USA by plane and then come back to Canada visa a plane. My ESTA runs out tomorrow and last time i did this, I wasn't a PR so it wasn't a problem

I cannot believe there isn't an answer to this question.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
CanBC said:
Because Im already in Canada and want to leave Canada and enter the USA by plane and then come back to Canada visa a plane. My ESTA runs out tomorrow and last time i did this, I wasn't a PR so it wasn't a problem

I cannot believe there isn't an answer to this question.
a pr card is only of use to demonstrate your authority to reside as a PR in Canada, it is not a national id card so the answer is no.

ESTAs are issued on the basis of your citizenship/ passport not on where you are a resident. Also the clue anyway is in the ESTA question as a pr card cannot be used for travel. Second guessing but the question seems more aimed at dual citizens who may have more than one passport.

As a PR it is advised that you carry your PR card with you when leaving and coming back into the country for CBSA but other countries including the US are not interested at all in the PR card.

CanBC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
Bs65 said:
a pr card is only of use to demonstrate your authority to reside as a PR in Canada, it is not a national id card so the answer is no.

ESTAs are issued on the basis of your citizenship/ passport not on where you are a resident. Also the clue anyway is in the ESTA question as a pr card cannot be used for travel. Second guessing but the question seems more aimed at dual citizens who may have more than one passport.

As a PR it is advised that you carry your PR card with you when leaving and coming back into the country for CBSA but other countries including the US are not interested at all in the PR card.
Thanks. I got approved as soon as I did my EST.

I disagree that the US are not interested in PR status though. When I've gone through the border they have waned to see my COPR to prove I am legitimatly in Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Not questioning Canbc experiences but For reference https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1192/~/canadian--citizens%2Fresidents%2Flanded-immigrants-entering-the-u.s.