+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR: should I choose Alberta ?

sjjhala

Star Member
Feb 19, 2013
Hello,

I know there have been some topics on this subject line of whether to choose Alberta for settling down, however, they did seem outdated from the current times, hence this thread.

I am a new PR and wanted to know whether I should directly land in Alberta (I already have 2 years of Canadian Work Experience and a Canadian PG Diploma, with extensive experience in Financial Markets & Banking) ?

If the answer is yes (for Alberta), then any particular city you would recommend to me (for my field, i.e., Financial / Capital markets, Banking, Marketing, Management, Administration, etc?)

Many thanks in advance, and looking forward to suggestions.

Sid

frustrated99

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - Pilot
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
10-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
14-05-2013, sent to unknown email, 2nd req 28-09-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2013, status to "meds recd" 14-11-2013
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet :-(
Hi Sid,

I am an American living in Alberta and awaiting the finalization of my PR. I have been here for 3 years and have previously also lived in New Brunswick. I would highly recommend Alberta, Edmonton in particular if you are working in finance; there are many nice, affordable suburbs of Edmonton to live in. With major upgrades to the city's infrastructure, getting around the city is much easier than other major Alberta cities, especially Calgary which is horrible for traffic and road congestion.

Edmonton is also a great place socially; immigrants are truly welcomed and there are many, many opportunities to network with people from around the world.

I love Edmonton. It is a great place to meet people, and a wonderful place to raise a family....

Hope this little bit of info helps, let me know if you have any other more specific questions about Alberta!

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Calgary is very nice too, but Edmonton isn't bad either. You're close to the mountains to get a break from the busy life! :)

horvathc

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
Canada, Alberta, Fort McMurray
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2013
AOR Received.
21-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
18-03-2014
Med's Done....
16-04-2014
Passport Req..
None - Visa exempt country
LANDED..........
23-08-2014
Yeah, I agree with you, Calgary and Edmonton can be a good place to start. Btw I prefer Calgary, it is really beautiful! :)

But it depends what's important for you.
I started in Fort McMurray and I'm still here. :) Probably it's not the best place to live, it's far from everything and it's cold, but you can get a good job in here, so for me as a start it was ideal. And now we have several friends and they make this place a little bit home....so maybe we'll stay couple of more years and then we'll see. ;D

SanRoque

Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for the information. Have done research via net about choosing Edmonton to settledown but still need hands on experience of how work, study and daily life in Edmonton. We are a family of 3 and have some time thought of finally settling down in Edmonton.

How is the accounting/finance job market in Edmonton? Have check different job websites and I guess plenty of jobs to apply. Just worried how my experience and qualifications will be measured up as a new migrant.

Any info will be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
SanRoque said:
Thanks for the information. Have done research via net about choosing Edmonton to settledown but still need hands on experience of how work, study and daily life in Edmonton. We are a family of 3 and have some time thought of finally settling down in Edmonton.

How is the accounting/finance job market in Edmonton? Have check different job websites and I guess plenty of jobs to apply. Just worried how my experience and qualifications will be measured up as a new migrant.

Any info will be highly appreciated.

Cheers.
If what you want is hands on experience, take a drive through Edmonton and Calgary (and their suburbs), and stop by some of the other smaller towns like Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Lethbridge, if possible.

Until you get experience and/or education in Canada, barring luck and perseverance, your foreign credentials are going to be burdensome in trying to score a job in the Canadian market.

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
mmm --Alberta.

I live in Nova Scotia (and lived in northern BC before that) (and have travelled through every province in Canada). I have also worked in 5 since my arrival 4 years ago. (Alberta was one of them).

I have to admit, other than for money, Alberta would not be a place of choice to live (weather is a real challenge, BIIIG challenge) Calgary can get snow every month of the year, and Edmonton is worse. And pretty much every year Alberta has some distaster of sorts. Floods, hail etc.

I have to admit my expiences in Edmonton were less than exciting. I did not find it a particularly friendly city. Maybe just did not meet the right people. I know of a story that hit the news papers in Canada about Edmonton last year. Apparently a scientist received a grant of $10mil, which also required he relocate and do his research in Edmonton. He took it, moved, and 7 months later, gave the money back and left...." Makes you wonder.

I did enjoy Calgary, and if I had to choose a city in Alberta, that would be it for me.

Alberta is a wealthy province, so if money is your pursuit this will be a good place to live. For any other reason I would think twice.

If you have a choice, from a lifestyle (and weather perspective) the closer you get to either of the coasts, the better off you will be.

Sounds like you have an adventure ahead of you.

It is great living in Canada (no matter where you end up).

Good luck :)