+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Police certificate rule? (Help)

Staterun

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
As the new rule came out of PCC that one have to provide PCC of a particular country if he/she stayed for 6 months in a row.

My question is that I had studied in UAE for 4 years my semester lenght was 4 months after which was the break of 1 month in winter and 3 months in summer which I use to spend in my home country.

So I have never remained in UAE for 6 months in row most I have stayed is 4 months so do I have to provide PCC of Uae?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"As part of a complete application, applicants, their spouse or common-law partner and their dependent children 18 years of age or older (including non-accompanying dependents) must submit a valid police certificate for all countries or territories (except Canada) in which they have lived for six months or more in a row, since the age of 18."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Staterun

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
"As part of a complete application, applicants, their spouse or common-law partner and their dependent children 18 years of age or older (including non-accompanying dependents) must submit a valid police certificate for all countries or territories (except Canada) in which they have lived for six months or more in a row, since the age of 18."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
So I am not required to give PCC?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
So I am not required to give PCC?
In theory, no. In practice, it's quite possible that, given the accumulated amount of time spent there, that IRCC would ask for it anyway. They are at liberty to extend document requirements for background and security checks if they wish. They did it to me....

Staterun

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
In theory, no. In practice, it's quite possible that, given the accumulated amount of time spent there, that IRCC would ask for it anyway. They are at liberty to extend document requirements for background and security checks if they wish. They did it to me....
So I dont have to submit it if they want they can ask for it

hirasalam

Jul 10, 2017
You were living there for 4 years. If you had taken multiple trips at different times all of less than 6 months duration I would say don't bother... but your case is different... if I were you I wouldn't risk it and get it upfront as some officers are notorious for rejecting application if they are not satisfied with provided PCC... if you think it'll be easy getting your application delayed based on "if they want they will ask".. let me tell you waiting will get on your nerves.... if you're willing to risk it that is your call. Yes, technically you don't need it.

Staterun

Star Member
Mar 28, 2017
You were living there for 4 years. If you had taken multiple trips at different times all of less than 6 months duration I would say don't bother... but your case is different... if I were you I wouldn't risk it and get it upfront as some officers are notorious for rejecting application if they are not satisfied with provided PCC... if you think it'll be easy getting your application delayed based on "if they want they will ask".. let me tell you waiting will get on your nerves.... if you're willing to risk it that is your call. Yes, technically you don't need it.
Ok thanks

spash007

Apr 4, 2018
When you get invited and you fill up the application, on the documents page, for me it explicitly lists the countries I need to get PCC from. For ex: in my case it shows "Police certificate - United States of America(required)" and if you click the ?, it has changed as well and now shows "You must provide a police certificate from this country or territory. We use police certificates to find out if you have a criminal record. They help us make sure you are not a security risk to Canada."

Also, the same for my wife even though she has stayed in Dubai for more than 6 months after she turned 18. So, the new rule just cares about the last 10 years and that too in a row :). And the system is smart enough to calculate the countries based on what you provide in the travel history (my guess)

So, its not really a risk to just provide what they ask for.

lkva

Star Member
Mar 13, 2018
I'd say you've spent a long enough time period in the UAE that it is possible you get asked to provide PCC regardless whether it was 6 months in a row, or cumulative, or more than 10 years ago.
If it's easy for you to get the PCC for UAE, to give yourself the best chance (and peace of mind) you could request it and have it ready (even if you don't submit it with your application, you will be able to provide it straight away, if asked). As someone said above, IRCC can ask you for any documentation they want at any stage of the process, technicalities aside.
It's entirely up to you though.