+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New permanent resident- Tax filing

vijay_k

Star Member
Jul 12, 2020
Dear Friends

I have landed in Canada in February , 2023 as permanent resident. Got SIN .

I read in webpages, that even if with 0 income, residents have to file taxes.

As I landed just 1 month ago, Am I supposed to file tax with 0 income declaration? or Do I not fall under this year taxing?
please advice

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear Friends

As I landed just 1 month ago, Am I supposed to file tax with 0 income declaration? or Do I not fall under this year taxing?
please advice
You file taxes for 2022 so you have no taxes to file until next year.

caninfoseeker

Aug 25, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
Sydney
Dear Friends

please advice
What people are now filing is for the income of the period of
You were not PR in this period, and you had no income in canada in this period, your global income is not taxable at this time but when you file in feb 2024 your global income will also be taxable and global assets exceeding 100k CAD are reportable in form T1135.

Reactions: canuck78

Rkb94

Jul 22, 2021
Hi guys,
I am filing my tax return for the first time as I landed in August 2022. I have not been able to file my taxes using NETFILE online as it is giving me error code 31 - information mismatch, which I think is because of my name.
On my SIN I have First Name field empty and all my names are in Last Name (because I do not have last name on my official documents).
but online software doesn't let me leave first name field empty.
So, do I need to file my taxes via mail?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi guys,
I am filing my tax return for the first time as I landed in August 2022. I have not been able to file my taxes using NETFILE online as it is giving me error code 31 - information mismatch, which I think is because of my name.
On my SIN I have First Name field empty and all my names are in Last Name (because I do not have last name on my official documents).
but online software doesn't let me leave first name field empty.
So, do I need to file my taxes via mail?
Error code.031 ( Netfile ) is when a taxpayer has correctly Identified themselves as a first time filer , but name and or DOB is a mismatch to the information the CRA has on file . Contact the CRA & see what information they have on file for your account. Your master file should at least have that .

Rkb94

Jul 22, 2021
Error code.031 ( Netfile ) is when a taxpayer has correctly Identified themselves as a first time filer , but name and or DOB is a mismatch to the information the CRA has on file . Contact the CRA & see what information they have on file for your account. Your master file should at least have that .
I called them but they said they can’t access my file as I have not filed taxes before.

mayank_grover

Mar 4, 2015
Hi members,

For reporting income from foreign investments like bank fd’s, how do you guys calculate the interest amount earned from Jan to Dec? Banks in India generally give interest certificates from April to March. Since the tax reporting cycle is different in Canada, how to report the total interest earned?
Also, because of above, the income on an ITR will not match the foreign interest income reported in a T1. How do you guys manage this?