+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New permanent resident, received CoPR abroad - apply or not for first PR card?

bcw3256

Oct 1, 2021
Hey everyone, sorry if this has been asked before but I am (once again) confused by the info listed on the IRCC website. I received my CoPR in March 2021 while I was temporarily studying outside of Canada. I only re-entered the country less than two weeks ago. I've heard that as a new permanent resident, I'm not supposed to apply for a PR card and the IRCC should mail it directly to me.

The part that confuses me is that this page says I need to provide my Canadian mailing address after I come back to the country. But when I click on the highlighted link and fill in my information, they say they're unable to identify me. Also, I thought they had my Canadian mailing address already since it's included in my CoPR letter??? How can I tell if they actually know my address and are just in the process of sending me my PR card?

Plus, the CoPR specifies I need to print it and send it to the IRCC office in Montreal along with my photos. So either way, it doesn't sound like I'm just supposed to wait for my PR card in the mail??

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I received my CoPR in March 2021 while I was temporarily studying outside of Canada. I only re-entered the country less than two weeks ago. I've heard that as a new permanent resident, I'm not supposed to apply for a PR card and the IRCC should mail it directly to me.

The part that confuses me is that this page says I need to provide my Canadian mailing address after I come back to the country.
Your question is confusing because it's not clear - what happened when you returned to Canada? Did you complete a landing process, by going through secondary and having the COPR signed and further steps? Were there photos attached to or with your COPR?

bcw3256

Oct 1, 2021
Your question is confusing because it's not clear - what happened when you returned to Canada? Did you complete a landing process, by going through secondary and having the COPR signed and further steps? Were there photos attached to or with your COPR?
Sorry, I didn't mean to be unclear, I've just been quite confused and stressed about the process. I had to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to come back to Canada, but when I landed at the airport I just went through customs like I usually do. They just looked at my PRTD and didn't ask or tell me to do anything, so I'm not sure if I somehow missed the "landing process" and now have to apply for a PR card.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry, I didn't mean to be unclear, I've just been quite confused and stressed about the process. I had to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to come back to Canada, but when I landed at the airport I just went through customs like I usually do. They just looked at my PRTD and didn't ask or tell me to do anything, so I'm not sure if I somehow missed the "landing process" and now have to apply for a PR card.
Suggest you contact IRCC - I'm guessing you did a 'virtual' (in-country) landing and they told you to apply for the PRTD. Since it's a rather specific case, best to ask them.

bcw3256

Oct 1, 2021
Suggest you contact IRCC - I'm guessing you did a 'virtual' (in-country) landing and they told you to apply for the PRTD. Since it's a rather specific case, best to ask them.
No one told me to apply for the PRTD, I did it myself after I was unable to re-enter Canada from London after finishing grad school. I've tried to contact the IRCC via mail, webform, and telephone, but they're only replying to priority enquiries rn so unfortunately there's a good chance I'll never hear anything back.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No one told me to apply for the PRTD, I did it myself after I was unable to re-enter Canada from London after finishing grad school. I've tried to contact the IRCC via mail, webform, and telephone, but they're only replying to priority enquiries rn so there's a good chance I'll never hear anything back.
Okay - but at some point you 'landed', virtually or otherwise, and got some communication that you became a PR. Presumably at that time you also got something, anything, that said something about your PR card (eg were asked to provide photos).

bcw3256

Oct 1, 2021
Okay - but at some point you 'landed', virtually or otherwise, and got some communication that you became a PR. Presumably at that time you also got something, anything, that said something about your PR card (eg were asked to provide photos).
The only communication I got so far was my CoPR (received in March while I was abroad) which asks me to post my photos to an IRCC office in Montreal. It also gave me an email address they told me to contact if I was outside of Canada; I sent them three emails months ago, with no response.
I really wish there were some way for me to get through to a human being at the IRCC and get clear answers, because I'm so ready to put this whole PR process behind me.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The only communication I got so far was my CoPR (received in March while I was abroad) which asks me to post my photos to an IRCC office in Montreal. It also gave me an email address they told me to contact if I was outside of Canada; I sent them three emails months ago, with no response.
I really wish there were some way for me to get through to a human being at the IRCC and get clear answers, because I'm so ready to put this whole PR process behind me.
You could try your MP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The big issue was that you were incorrectly landed while you shouldn’t have. Had you updated your address to indicate that you were not in Canada? By 2021 they were double checking that people were actually in Canada before letting them land virtually. There was a process to send your PR card after virtual landing but because you were abroad it didn’t work. You’ll need to apply for a PR card now that you are in Canada. Use the Montreal address and explain you were landed virtually incorrectly while you were outside Canada but you have now returned and include your current address.

Reactions: armoured

Judy12

Star Member
Jan 27, 2021
Hey everyone, sorry if this has been asked before but I am (once again) confused by the info listed on the IRCC website. I received my CoPR in March 2021 while I was temporarily studying outside of Canada. I only re-entered the country less than two weeks ago. I've heard that as a new permanent resident, I'm not supposed to apply for a PR card and the IRCC should mail it directly to me.

The part that confuses me is that this page says I need to provide my Canadian mailing address after I come back to the country. But when I click on the highlighted link and fill in my information, they say they're unable to identify me. Also, I thought they had my Canadian mailing address already since it's included in my CoPR letter??? How can I tell if they actually know my address and are just in the process of sending me my PR card?

Plus, the CoPR specifies I need to print it and send it to the IRCC office in Montreal along with my photos. So either way, it doesn't sound like I'm just supposed to wait for my PR card in the mail??
hi, did you resolve your issue. i have a similar case and i wnat to know how you did it.