AOR Received.
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
02-04-2011
Med's Request
02-06-2011
Med's Done....
17-06-2011
So my family recently got our application for permanent residence approved and just drove to Buffalo from Toronto and crossed back to kick off the PR card process. However, nowhere in the documentation we received did it say that you couldn't travel for 4-6 weeks after doing this until you get the permanent card. My wife and two sons have a trip booked to Barbados in 4 days for a couple weeks and the PR cards will not be sent to use for an estimated 4-6 weeks.

When crossing back into Ontario from Buffalo (on Oct. 22nd) we were told that they only way they could still go on the holiday would be to apply for a travel document from either the Buffalo office or from Barbados. I have looked into it and its pretty expensive and there is scant information about how that process works. The Barbados embassy told me that they don't process Travel Documents and that the Trinidad office only does it. I called Trinidad and they said it takes roughly 6 weeks for the Travel Documents to get in place, which makes that not an option. I tried to called Buffalo but they don't accept phone calls only emails.

Here are my questions:

1. My wife and two sons are American citizens. Can they just go ahead to Barbados and return to Canada since they have status in a visa-exempt country? Or will they not be allowed to board the flight since they have no return flight booked out of Canada?

2. How long do Travel documents take to be issued? Has anyone here had some issued before from Buffalo and have any experience? Can they be issued same-day? Wondering if I can drive with the family to Buffalo and get it sorted out before Friday.

3. I am the principal applicant, but am not travelling on the trip. Will I need to accompany them to Buffalo to sign anything for my sons? (they are both minors).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they are visa exempt to Canada, they will not need travel documents. They can enter Canada on their passport and landing papers. The airline will let them board the plane with a US passport because US citizens don't need a visa to go to Canada. The airline will not care if they have a return ticket.

horlicks

Apr 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2010
AOR Received.
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
02-04-2011
Med's Request
02-06-2011
Med's Done....
17-06-2011
Leon said:
If they are visa exempt to Canada, they will not need travel documents. They can enter Canada on their passport and landing papers. The airline will let them board the plane with a US passport because US citizens don't need a visa to go to Canada. The airline will not care if they have a return ticket.
Hmm. In trying to figure out what to do I called the Immigration Canada number and while they said they could give me no information about Buffalo because they can't give information about places outside of Canada they said they would indeed need travel documents to re-enter Canada. Just seems like a big money grab to me...Leon is there any supporting documentation of what you say anywhere on the immigration Canada site?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
horlicks said:
Hmm. In trying to figure out what to do I called the Immigration Canada number and while they said they could give me no information about Buffalo because they can't give information about places outside of Canada they said they would indeed need travel documents to re-enter Canada. Just seems like a big money grab to me...Leon is there any supporting documentation of what you say anywhere on the immigration Canada site?
For example here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf - pages 34 to 36 said:
11.2. Verifying permanent resident status
The permanent resident card is the only valid proof of permanent resident status in Canada.
The following documents are satisfactory indicators of permanent residence:
the original Record of Landing:
• a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters;
• a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters verifying permanent residence;
• a passport duly stamped showing the date on which permanent residence was granted, if the
person was granted permanent resident status before 1973; and
a Confirmation of Permanent Residence document [IMM 5292B].

11.8. Travel document
A31(3) states:
A permanent resident outside Canada who is not in possession of a status document
indicating permanent resident status
shall, following an examination, be issued a travel
document if a BSO is satisfied that:
(a) they comply with the residency obligation under A28 [of the Act];
(b) an officer has made the determination referred to in paragraph 28(2)(c) [of the Act]; or
(c) they were physically present in Canada at least once within the 365 days before the
examination and they have made an appeal under 63(4) that has not been finally
determined or the period of making such an appeal has not yet expired.
[Paragraph A28(2)(c) cited in A31(3)(b) above states in part “… that humanitarian and
compassionate considerations… taking into account the best interests of a child directly
affected by the determination, justify the retention of permanent resident status….]
So once they land they will have their COPR which is a "satisfactory indicator of permanent residence" and therefore, they would not need a travel document which is meant for people "who are not in possession of a status document indicating permanent resident status". The airline is another matter as they are responsible for who they transport but if they don't tell the airline that they are PR without PR cards, the airline will see a US passport and let them board.

Also see this question on the PR card FAQ:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/index.asp said:
Do I require a Permanent Resident Card if I’m returning to Canada by car?

No matter how you travel back to Canada, all permanent residents entering Canada must satisfy the border services officer that they have valid permanent resident status. A valid permanent resident card is the best proof of your status.

If you do not present your card when you return to Canada, you may be asked to show one of the following documents:

a completed Confirmation of Permanent Residence form;
the original Record of Landing (if it is dated 1973 or later);
a passport stamped with the date you were granted permanent residence (if your Record of Landing is dated 1972 or earlier);
a certified true copy of a Record of Landing document issued by CIC National Headquarters; or
a letter issued by CIC National Headquarters attesting to your permanent resident status.
The border services officer may also need to confirm your permanent resident status by asking you questions and checking our information systems.