+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Passport

j2_saint

Jan 11, 2017
Hey Guys,

I need your suggestion. My passport is expiring in July 2018. I am currently in the "NA stage" for my PR application and hope to get PPR by end of June or July 2017. I plan to make the landing hopefully in the New Year.

My question is;

- Should I get a new passport before PPR comes through and let CIC know through CSE? Or
-Can I apply for a new passport after getting the PPR from the Canadian visa office and make the landing with the new passport and the old passport which will have the visa?

Thanks,

gill367

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Punjab
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CHD
NOC Code......
I have heard that .. it could be a problem after PPR.. better get it done now itself

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys,

I need your suggestion. My passport is expiring in July 2018. I am currently in the "NA stage" for my PR application and hope to get PPR by end of June or July 2017. I plan to make the landing hopefully in the New Year.

My question is;

- Should I get a new passport before PPR comes through and let CIC know through CSE? Or
-Can I apply for a new passport after getting the PPR from the Canadian visa office and make the landing with the new passport and the old passport which will have the visa?

Thanks,
You should get the new passport before you get PPR or at least before you send your passport. The visa to land in Canada is attached with your passport biometrics page. Also, they wouldn't be able to issue the visa for longer than your passport is valid.

That said, your status as PR is not influenced by the validity of your passport. So theoretically, you could land on your current passport (assuming you get PPR soon and land immediately), and remain in Canada indefiniately with the expired passport.