+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New passport with visa on old passport - Qorax, PMM... please advice....

newceo

Star Member
Aug 7, 2008
Dear Seniors,

I believe many people night have faced this problem. The visa stamping was done on old passport and my wife got new passport and old passport was cancelled.

I have enquired with my travel agent and she said it is not an issue.

Just wanted to confirm, is it Ok to travel with visa on the old passport ? Is it going to create any problem when we travel to Canada for our landing process next month ?

I am really worried now.

I am travelling from India. Is the Indian immigration officer going to question on this ?

Seniors, PMM, Qorax... please advice...

Thanks....

haral

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, if your passport with male leaf is expired than yes you will not be allowed to travel on that. You have to consult with your CHC which issued the visa. I believe they have a process on this...... i guess a senior like Rocky, PMM or Qoraz will be able to tell you the complete process through their exp.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newceo said:
Dear Seniors,

I believe many people night have faced this problem. The visa stamping was done on old passport and my wife got new passport and old passport was cancelled.

I have enquired with my travel agent and she said it is not an issue.

Just wanted to confirm, is it Ok to travel with visa on the old passport ? Is it going to create any problem when we travel to Canada for our landing process next month ?

I am really worried now.

I am travelling from India. Is the Indian immigration officer going to question on this ?

Seniors, PMM, Qorax... please advice...

Thanks....

According to CIC - ENF 4 Port of Entry Examinations :
2010-06-14 54
13.15. Valid visas in expired passports
If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the
expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue
to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfil
the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports
containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada. The Regulations
state that visas should not be issued longer than the validity of the passport. However, due to pre-
IRPA cases, it is possible to encounter visas in expired passports.
It is not possible to "transfer" a valid visa into a new passport. If the holder of a valid visa wishes
to have a visa placed in their new passport or if the passport is deemed ‘not valid' for political or
security concerns, visitors must apply for a replacement visa by submitting a new application and

paying the replacement document fee in accordance with R311(2).
If the applicant wishes to obtain a visa valid for a longer period in the new document, this will
constitute a new temporary resident visa application and any applicable fees resulting from this
new application will be collected. The previous visa will subsequently be cancelled.

U

umair81

NO NO.. listen guys..!!!! i had the same issue.

I contacted CHC and they told me if only passport expires only than visa is valid in old passport.

If i have got old passport(cancelled) with valid visa. i do have to send the old cancelled passport + new passport to CHC with required fees. and they will get replacement visa with same validity dates pasted on new passport..

plz donot travel with old cancelled passport..

expired passport is different thing

mmushtaq

Apr 30, 2011
Hello umair81,
can u please share more details of your information? what is the required fee etc.? Do you know how much time it can take?

Thanks,
umair81 said:
NO NO.. listen guys..!!!! i had the same issue.

I contacted CHC and they told me if only passport expires only than visa is valid in old passport.

If i have got old passport(cancelled) with valid visa. i do have to send the old cancelled passport + new passport to CHC with required fees. and they will get replacement visa with same validity dates pasted on new passport..

plz donot travel with old cancelled passport..

expired passport is different thing

ELAR

Oct 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2009
Doc's Request.
18-01-2010
AOR Received.
April 28, 2010
File Transfer...
In process at Buffalo: Aug 17, 2010
Med's Request
Oct 27, 2010
Med's Done....
Nov 4, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 24, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 26, 2011
LANDED..........
May 26, 2011
mmushtaq said:
Hello umair81,
can u please share more details of your information? what is the required fee etc.? Do you know how much time it can take?

Thanks,
Hi guys, I'm in the same boat here, I'm waiting for PPR and a few months back my lawyer told us to renew our passports as apparantly these need to be at least 1 year valid for PR visa stamping and the PPR was about to arrive anytime (yeah right!). Unfortunately, the PPR wait has been more than expected and now we need to go abroad.

Is it possible to travel with the temporary resident visa (TRV) in old cancelled (not expired) passport and the new one?

Please share your experience and thoughts guys, I'm pretty worried...thanks in advance..

U

umair81

ok here i go..

first i asked CHC wether i can travel with cancelled PP with valid visa + new PP.. their ans is as follows

Dear Client:

In reply to your mail (see below) please be informed that applicant will need to have replacement visa pasted in new passport.

Regards,
Immigration Section

Canadian High Commission, Islamabad
P.O. Box 1042, Islamabad, Pakistan

then i asked about the procedure and their reply was as follows.

Dear Client:

In reply to your mail (see below) please please submit your both passports along iwth letter detailing your problem and requesting a replacement visa.

Regards,
Immigration Section

Canadian High Commission, Islamabad
P.O. Box 1042, Islamabad, Pakistan

Fax: +92-51-208-6914
Email: islamabad-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

hope it helps :)

Shinygirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Here is my experience

My husband was the primary in our case... his visa was in old passport and we had to renew our passport cos of 1 year validity issue....as we were planning to travel to india. We were staying in the US.

We were supposed to land in first week of april and our lawyer told us on 20th march to ask the canadian embassy about this issue - very less time but we emailed the office at buffalo....didnt get any response for many days so decided to call the CBSA and asked them and they said that if your visa is on your old passport it doesnt matter u can land with both old and new passport but your visa should not be cancelled (which it was not)

So we were all set to land and guess what??? the day we had our flight at 2pm, we get an email from CHC buffalo at 9 am stating that you should send your passport to our office to get your visa on your new passport.....we got so tensed cos we had flight in 5 hours and we were in south of US.
Anyways so we decided to travel with both the passports wih visa on old.... but everything went just fine....they just checked both of his passports and didnt mention anything abt visa being on old passport.

So i believe its not abig deal if u travel with both of ur passports, but if u have time then get it changed to be on safer side.

karsatjaya

Star Member
Sep 10, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
11-06-2011
Shinygirl said:
Here is my experience

My husband was the primary in our case... his visa was in old passport and we had to renew our passport cos of 1 year validity issue....as we were planning to travel to india. We were staying in the US.

We were supposed to land in first week of april and our lawyer told us on 20th march to ask the canadian embassy about this issue - very less time but we emailed the office at buffalo....didnt get any response for many days so decided to call the CBSA and asked them and they said that if your visa is on your old passport it doesnt matter u can land with both old and new passport but your visa should not be cancelled (which it was not)

So we were all set to land and guess what??? the day we had our flight at 2pm, we get an email from CHC buffalo at 9 am stating that you should send your passport to our office to get your visa on your new passport.....we got so tensed cos we had flight in 5 hours and we were in south of US.
Anyways so we decided to travel with both the passports wih visa on old.... but everything went just fine....they just checked both of his passports and didnt mention anything abt visa being on old passport.

So i believe its not abig deal if u travel with both of ur passports, but if u have time then get it changed to be on safer side.
Congratulations and best of luck for your new life in Canada. I have a question and would like to call CBSA. could you please share the CBSA contact number which you used to contact on your issue.

Appreciate your help.

Shinygirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
I dont have the number with me, but you can go on their website and its mentioned there, alongwith the times at which u can call