+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New passport and visa in old passport

pvivek5828

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Hello all,

My family has a visitor visa of Canada that expires in August 2024.

They are planning their visit to Canada next year summer, they will renew their passport before coming here and having a valid visa till August 2024, Can they enter canada with new passport and visa in old passport.?

I am aware about the rule that passport needs to be valid for minimum 6 months upon entry, how about visa.? Do they need to have 6 months left in their visa or they can enter Canada before their visa expires.?

Can they come Canada in June 2024 with their visa expiring August 2024.? They will have new passport when they enter.

Thanks

selbashir

Star Member
Feb 4, 2022
Hello all,

My family has a visitor visa of Canada that expires in August 2024.

They are planning their visit to Canada next year summer, they will renew their passport before coming here and having a valid visa till August 2024, Can they enter canada with new passport and visa in old passport.?

I am aware about the rule that passport needs to be valid for minimum 6 months upon entry, how about visa.? Do they need to have 6 months left in their visa or they can enter Canada before their visa expires.?

Can they come Canada in June 2024 with their visa expiring August 2024.? They will have new passport when they enter.

Thanks
Hello.
They should be able to enter as long as the visa is valid. Expiry date is for entry to Canada.
Can stay for up to 6 months after entry or less if decided so and stamped by border officers.

Visa can be on old passport but the have to bring both passports with them.

Regards