+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New passport after Citizenship application - Old Passport not available

mittler83

Sep 23, 2015
Hi there,

I received a request for

"scanned copies or photos of all passport(s) and travel document(s) pages held
during your eligibility period are required. If you do not have a travel document or passport, please
provide an explanation.
You must provide a colour copy of each page, including blank pages.

So i have a new passport issued after the application as the old one was about to expire and it was safely destroyed (i didn't think that they might have requested a copy of all pages).

In this case, do i need to just say that i don't have the old passport as it was about to expire and i got a new one? They already have the copy of my old passport, just the data page with all the info.

Thanks

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi there,

I received a request for

during your eligibility period are required. If you do not have a travel document or passport, please
provide an explanation.

So i have a new passport issued after the application as the old one was about to expire and it was safely destroyed (i didn't think that they might have requested a copy of all pages).

In this case, do i need to just say that i don't have the old passport as it was about to expire and i got a new one? They already have the copy of my old passport, just the data page with all the info.

Thanks
Who destroyed it, you or the embassy? and what do you mean by "destroyed" exactly?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Unusual that anyone would destroy an old passport like this, and you still could have scanned the old passport even after the consulate had invalidated it. Anyway, what's done is done, and you weren't aware of the citizenship requirement.

You can write to them and explain that the old passport was destroyed before you got to make any copies of it, and see how it goes. Not sure what will happen, maybe just a delay.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
the consulate cut all the corners and put a ‘invalid’ stamp on it. Since i had a new passport already i put the old one through the shredder

thanks
Old passports should never be destroyed like this if they are handed back to you. I am not sure how they will react to you as you destroyed your passport voluntarily. They may put your application under more scrutiny.

wink

May 25, 2021
the consulate cut all the corners and put a ‘invalid’ stamp on it. Since i had a new passport already i put the old one through the shredder

thanks
Sorry to hear this. Wonder how you got this thought of destroying it. So sad. I can't believe it at all. Even clipping the corner is unusual.

mittler83

Sep 23, 2015
Sorry. I understand your ‘frustration’ but when i got a new driver’s licence i was told to destroy the old one. Since i had a new passport, i had no use for the old one. If i knew that they would have asked, i would have definitely not done it.

i have nothing to hide and they can check whatever they want. I am also a government employee and i had to go for an extensive background check.

I would also clarify that i am from a Visa Free country so i never had a Visa on my passport. i had a work permit.

thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Sorry. I understand your ‘frustration’ but when i got a new driver’s licence i was told to destroy the old one. Since i had a new passport, i had no use for the old one. If i knew that they would have asked, i would have definitely not done it.

i have nothing to hide and they can check whatever they want. I am also a government employee and i had to go for an extensive background check.

I would also clarify that i am from a Visa Free country so i never had a Visa on my passport. i had a work permit.

thanks for your help :)
I don't think anyone is frustrated. It's your application and you alone would suffer the consequences. People are just giving you a feedback about what might happen, and how old passports should be treated. Passports and driver's license are not the same. No one stamps your driver's license and it's not used for international travels. Maybe IRCC will treat you differently because you are from a visa-free country. Maybe not. Maybe they won't ask for passport pages as not all applicants get the request. Who knows. It's always a good idea to follow on the forums here what's going on with other applicants to have an idea what to expect.

Last edited:

sindub

Dec 17, 2021
i as well sent all pages of my new passport which was valid for four years and has 16 years validity. this was because the citizenship test i passed then they sëhr a request for all passports upto five years. i had shredded the old one as i declutter

Seravi

Jan 5, 2017
Hi I got the same letter requesting passport copies. My passport is expired in 2019 march. I did not renew it as i wasnt planning to travel. would that be an issue?

sindub

Dec 17, 2021
Hi there,

I received a request for

provide an explanation.

Thanks
don’t worry. i did the same. i sent an explanatory letter and my employee signed a letter which stated that i was in canada during that time. this is just to prove residency time