+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New OCI for American Citizen in Canada (dual citizen holder)

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alright, providing a closure to this for others who might be looking for advise on similar scenario

I spoke with the consultate general (not BLS) and was advised that at any time, a person with dual citizenship, can apply based on one passport only. He went furthermore to explain :

at the time of making an OCI application (or renewing thereafter based on aquiring new passport), it does ask "do you hold any other citizenship, and if yes indicate what" - so in a way, the indian system knows that you hold multiple citizenships.

If you want to give up OCI on one passport, and take it up on the other, you will have to cancel one and take up the other. the OCI checks will not be as complicated, considering that you already have an OCI and most of the information is validated during your previous application process.

So all in all, i was advised, OCI can be held on only one passport at a time.

Hope this helps someone who comes looking for a similar situation.

Reactions: canvisa13

SGulati

Apr 20, 2019
Alright, providing a closure to this for others who might be looking for advise on similar scenario

I spoke with the consultate general (not BLS) and was advised that at any time, a person with dual citizenship, can apply based on one passport only. He went furthermore to explain :

at the time of making an OCI application (or renewing thereafter based on aquiring new passport), it does ask "do you hold any other citizenship, and if yes indicate what" - so in a way, the indian system knows that you hold multiple citizenships.

If you want to give up OCI on one passport, and take it up on the other, you will have to cancel one and take up the other. the OCI checks will not be as complicated, considering that you already have an OCI and most of the information is validated during your previous application process.

So all in all, i was advised, OCI can be held on only one passport at a time.

Hope this helps someone who comes looking for a similar situation.
So it is not necessary to change the OCI? We can still keep the current OCI linked to the US passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship? And travel to India using US passport and OCI card.
I am asking as I am in the same situation for my kid who has OCI linked to US passport and now he recently got the Canadian passport.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
So it is not necessary to change the OCI? We can still keep the current OCI linked to the US passport after acquiring Canadian citizenship? And travel to India using US passport and OCI card.
I am asking as I am in the same situation for my kid who has OCI linked to US passport and now he recently got the Canadian passport.
If you are looking to only use Canadian passport but OCI is linked to your other foreign passport then in that case you have to cancel that OCI and apply for a fresh OCI
Or else, keep using your existing OCI with the existing other foreign passport

Reactions: SGulati

SGulati

Apr 20, 2019
If you are looking to only use Canadian passport but OCI is linked to your other foreign passport then in that case you have to cancel that OCI and apply for a fresh OCI
Or else, keep using your existing OCI with the existing other foreign passport
Thanks for the clarification. Will use the current US passport and OCI for traveling to India.