+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Medical Not Yet Approved

Jul 29, 2021
Applied for a study permit last year, got approved but had to defer admission to 2022.

Medical from last year would be expiring before my travel to Canada this year. Went ahead and got a new medical.

Been 5 weeks but the new exam does not show up in my GCKey account. Only the old medical is visible.

Already sent a webform about the situation but nothing yet.

What else can be done?

NamanMehta936

May 15, 2021
I’m in the exact same situation. I’ve sent 2 webforms in the past 4-5 weeks requesting them to update my medicals so that there’s no issue at the time of boarding the flight. Nothing yet.

Myahudi Jr II

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
13. I went ahead and did my re-medicals before the expiry of existing medicals, either as instructed by IRCC or on my own initiative. Will this affect my visa status and how will I know my recent medicals have been linked to my existing study/work permit?

One can proactively do upfront medicals if your medicals are expiring soon.

When making an appointment with a Panel Physician without an IME, you will need to request an “Upfront Medical Exam”.

The Panel Physician will send your medical results directly to IRCC. Note that you will not be able to see this update in your online IRCC secure account because your file is closed, however IRCC will link it to your client profile in the background.

Once reviewed, if your medical results are favorable, the administrative hold will be removed (or won’t be issued if these

steps are done well in advance) and your visa will remain valid for travel. Your results may also take longer than 30 working days to be assessed. Please plan your travel accordingly

Reactions: NamanMehta936

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Applied for a study permit last year, got approved but had to defer admission to 2022.

Medical from last year would be expiring before my travel to Canada this year. Went ahead and got a new medical.

Been 5 weeks but the new exam does not show up in my GCKey account. Only the old medical is visible.

Already sent a webform about the situation but nothing yet.

What else can be done?
You can travel with the new medical results in a situation when the previous results expire.

Myahudi Jr II

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
If presented with the new medical, they will allow to board the plane. People have shared their experiences on this forum you can search.
Your Visa must be valid with Valid medical exams, if your medical is exipered your visa automatic will be invalid

Submitt your new medical via webform, but this update will not shown to your account

But its advisable to travel with your new medical

Jul 29, 2021
The basic issue revolves around the administrative hold. If the medical is not updated, the visa will certainly be put on hold.

But if the medicals are indeed updated, there should be no issue. Regardless of whether the file is open or closed, this new medical should be visible in the account right?

If the account keeps on reflecting the old medicals and will only switch to the new one once the old ones expire, one won't be intimated until the end. This again leaves us in an uncertain spot with regards to the travel to Canada.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
The basic issue revolves around the administrative hold. If the medical is not updated, the visa will certainly be put on hold.

But if the medicals are indeed updated, there should be no issue. Regardless of whether the file is open or closed, this new medical should be visible in the account right?

If the account keeps on reflecting the old medicals and will only switch to the new one once the old ones expire, one won't be intimated until the end. This again leaves us in an uncertain spot with regards to the travel to Canada.
1. The old medical has to expire

2. The old medical info will be taken down and the new one will reflect

In some cases, people were able to travel with a copy of the newly done medical as well while the update was not made on GC Key
Best of Luck