+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New medical condition after submitting the medical test results?

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Hi All,
I have a general question - what happens if you are detected by a new medical condition for something that has occurred after you submit your medical tests and you have received your passport request? Or say u already are a permanent resident and are now planning to move to Canada?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Would this new medical condition be likely to make you inadmissible to Canada for either public safety or financial demand reasons? If you are already a PR, it's of no relevance.

Reactions: yodheydhara

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Would this new medical condition be likely to make you inadmissible to Canada for either public safety or financial demand reasons? If you are already a PR, it's of no relevance.
Thank you Zardoz for your response. Say if you are already a PR, then does the answer for your first part ("Would this new medical condition be likely to make you inadmissible to Canada for either public safety or financial demand reasons?") becomes irrelevant too?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yes. Once you're a PR, there is no medical inadmissibility to be considered. You have a right to enter Canada.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Yes. Once you're a PR, there is no medical inadmissibility to be considered. You have a right to enter Canada.
Thank you Zardoz, this is very helpful!!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Keep in mind that you only become a PR once you enter Canada. If you haven't done that yet, and there are changes in your circumstance, you need to advise IRCC. It's one of the questions you will be asked during entry and processing.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Keep in mind that you only become a PR once you enter Canada. If you haven't done that yet, and there are changes in your circumstance, you need to advise IRCC. It's one of the questions you will be asked during entry and processing.
Hi Buletruck,
I did the soft landing and was in Toronto for 2 weeks. I had to come back because of my job and now I am looking forward to move there as soon as possible. My PR cards have been delivered to my relatives in Canada too. Would that change anything in what Zardoz mentioned in his reply?

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
I wouldn't think so. As Zardoz pointed out, once you've landed and received your status there should be no inadmissibility.
Ok. Thank you so much Buletruck!!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
In ppr email, they ask us to notify only criminal convictions and changes to family composition, and not about any medical conditions. Why should someone volunteer about their health information to cbsa when medicals done by cic happens to be very much valid during landing. I doubt even visa officers look at the health information as medical procedural fairness is sent by DMP themselves.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The OP still needs to keep in mind that if their destination is Ontario they will need to wait 3 months for OHIP so whatever the medical condition is keep that in mind .

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The courts have long held that a “change of circumstances” gives rise to a duty to disclose. Without any requirement of questions being asked, immigrants must inform CIC at the time of landing of changes in circumstances or facts not previously disclosed. This obligation for immigrants at the Port of Entry is specifically included in regulation 51.

A foreign national who holds a permanent resident visa and is seeking to become a permanent resident must, at the time of their examination,

1. (a) inform the officer if ...

(ii) material facts relevant to the issuance of a visa have changed since the visa was issued or were not divulged when it was issued ; and

2. (b) establish that they and their family members, whether accompanying or not, meet the requirements of the Act and these Regulations.
Seems It's a requirement to disclose any changes that are considered relevant to having received a PR or visa. Not sure it's still relevant.

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Seems It's a requirement to disclose any changes that are considered relevant to having received a PR or visa. Not sure it's still relevant.
What changes are you talking about after medical results are submitted with respect to medical?
Whatever one gets after the results are accepted by cic then its not candidate's responsibility unless cic requests new medical. There is no question at the border even while landing on medical. Do they ask if we have medical issue during landing? I never heard of.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
What changes are you talking about after medical results are submitted with respect to medical?
Whatever one gets after the results are accepted by cic then its not candidate's responsibility unless cic requests new medical. There is no question at the border even while landing on medical. Do they ask if we have medical issue during landing? I never heard of.
See section 7.8 in this link below where CBSA can process a person for further questioning if they suspect an arriving foreign national as having a major medical issue. Even if someone has been approved to become a PR until they have completed a landing and become a PR they have no right to enter the country and in any case will always be a foreign national in the country until they become citizens.

So whilst it may be rare to be asked during a landing there can be exceptions if someone arrives with an obvious serious looking illness that might be a concern visibly to the initial inspecting officer for that officer to require additional processing

As for not being a candidates responsibility to notify anyone it is always the candidates responsibility to notify IRCC of any material changes that could affect their PR application, even major long term medical issues post medical. Of course human nature is such that most people will not notify medical issues but then they still need to accept if they need ongoing care post landing there will be a period when they do not qualify.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf