+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New LMIA flagpoling its posible??

leite13

Jan 23, 2020
I came to Vancouver 2 months ago on closed work permit, a week ago I found another Job with LMIA avalible, better pay and more work hours, right now I'm working 4 hours a day and is getting hard to pay the bills, I already have accepted this new job, but I must get my new work permit some how, online application is too long and I don't have that time, my only option is flagpoling, what do you think guys, even if I have to stay in quarentine in my way back I don't mind. Thanks

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I came to Vancouver 2 months ago on closed work permit, a week ago I found another Job with LMIA avalible, better pay and more work hours, right now I'm working 4 hours a day and is getting hard to pay the bills, I already have accepted this new job, but I must get my new work permit some how, online application is too long and I don't have that time, my only option is flagpoling, what do you think guys, even if I have to stay in quarentine in my way back I don't mind. Thanks
CBSA isn't processing people who flagpole, as it is not considered essential. You need to apply to IRCC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Confirming this is not possible. It's not classified as an essential border activity and IRCC/CBSA have specifically stated work permits will not be processed at borders. If you go, you'll be turned away.

Applying online is your only option.

leite13

Jan 23, 2020
But the border is open to go to the US, if I fly to Seattle one day and come back in the next one, I must go throught immigration I think is the same, is the same if I go to Point Roberts, they can't block my way to the US because US borders are open for tourists, I'll try and If I can't, I'll be on my way back home in Europe is not point to be here wasting time and money.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But the border is open to go to the US, if I fly to Seattle one day and come back in the next one, I must go throught immigration I think is the same, is the same if I go to Point Roberts, they can't block my way to the US because US borders are open for tourists, I'll try and If I can't, I'll be on my way back home in Europe is not point to be here wasting time and money.
The US-Canada border is closed both ways to non-essential travel.

Regardless of whether you actually enter the US and for how long, it is still flagpoling. Upon your return to Canada, you can expect to re-enter on your current work permit because your purpose is non-essential. You will also have to quarantine for 14 days.

Reactions: leite13

leite13

Jan 23, 2020
U.S. and Canada have agreed to permit only “essential” travel between the two countries.
That means those looking to cross the border for recreation or tourism purposes will not be allowed to enter.
The agreement is in place for a month, at which time the U.S. and Canada will review it.
The measures affect land ports of entry — so air travel is exempt, though Canada has already urged against all non-essential international travel.
International students, workers with visas and temporary foreign workers will continue to be allowed to enter Canada. But all international arrivals have been told to self-isolate for 14 days.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Guess you will find out at US CBP pre clearance in the airport when you tell them purpose of your travel to the US is a 24 hr trip which would be considered non essential regardless whether air or land. Add to that you imply travelling on a European passport and the US has banned many European countries from travelling to US so US CBP will need to be convinced not using Canada as a back door into the US. Probably not an issue given your current status in Canada but something to keep in mind given how unpredictable CBP can be and they can block anyone from entry to the US if not essential.

Reactions: leite13

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
U.S. and Canada have agreed to permit only “essential” travel between the two countries.
That means those looking to cross the border for recreation or tourism purposes will not be allowed to enter.
The agreement is in place for a month, at which time the U.S. and Canada will review it.
The measures affect land ports of entry — so air travel is exempt, though Canada has already urged against all non-essential international travel.
International students, workers with visas and temporary foreign workers will continue to be allowed to enter Canada. But all international arrivals have been told to self-isolate for 14 days.
What’s wrong with you ? Do you seriously think the United States will let you transit their country during a pandemic?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can try this but you can't make it a one day trip. If you enter the US you will need to remain there for 14 days before Canada will allow you in.