+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New international students IELTS rules

Tusubasa

Feb 13, 2019
Hello everyone,

I've been told that now in order to get a study permit, you MUST have all bands in IELTS score of 6 or more? And anything less than 6 will result in making your chances of getting a study permit are slim to none

Is that true? And if so, may I have a source link that indicates that new rule? I searched the CIC website, and no such thing was mentioned.

Thanks in advance

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hello everyone,

I've been told that now in order to get a study permit, you MUST have all bands in IELTS score of 6 or more? And anything less than 6 will result in making your chances of getting a study permit are slim to none

Is that true? And if so, may I have a source link that indicates that new rule? I searched the CIC website, and no such thing was mentioned.

Thanks in advance
The only written rule will be for students who want to go through SDS process, this is for students from India, China, Vietnam and Philippines only.

Other than that there is no written rule that you need X band score to be elegible for study permit. However having a higher IELTS will boost your chances. There has been a constant pattern of people having lower than 6.0 IELTS being denied for language ability.

You are of course free to submit any score, even a band 1 score will be accepted. However don't expect visa approval with a low IELTS score. It's not impossible, but it's more difficult.

Reactions: visatest

Tusubasa

Feb 13, 2019
The only written rule will be for students who want to go through SDS process, this is for students from India, China, Vietnam and Philippines only.

Other than that there is no written rule that you need X band score to be elegible for study permit. However having a higher IELTS will boost your chances. There has been a constant pattern of people having lower than 6.0 IELTS being denied for language ability.

You are of course free to submit any score, even a band 1 score will be accepted. However don't expect visa approval with a low IELTS score. It's not impossible, but it's more difficult.
Thanks for the quick response.

May I have a source link?

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018

Selvakk is absolutely right. IELTS score of atleast 6 proves that you have an intermediate English language skills.
Majority of students opt for post graduate programs or higher. At this level of education things become difficult to grasp especially if you don't understand the intricacies of the language in which they are taught.
This is the determining factor in the mind of the VO to issue or refuse you a permit once he is satisfied with the overall requirement.
As for the source link there are some things that are not specified in black and white but a part of unwritten standard operating procedure.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018

I don't get what source link you are asking for?. Not everything is in black and white. If the visa officer thinks your English skills are not up to the mark, then he will reject your application. This could include your IELTS and/or SOP/Letter of explanation. Every document and every word that you write will be used to scrutinize your application.

As I've said before you are free to do as you like. This is what we senior members have been seeing through the forum and we use the SDS requirements as well as a guide to what they expect the student's IELTS to be. If you have a lower score than 6.0 then you are free to apply, some people have even got visas with a lower score than 6.0. However, there are no "source links" to unwritten rules, we merely give advice to people and as of now the advice of most senior members is that 6.0 is a minimum and the more band score you get the better.

All written rules are available at

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit.html

mkreddy2

May 2, 2019

What are the chances with 6 in all modules under sds application??

Emmanuelchris

Nov 21, 2018
I think for master u need atleast 6 in each band which ever catergory u filed
But for undergraduate or hotel management studies one module 5.5 is ok with good sop, financial support
The reason i am saying this i got my study visa 3 weeks back with overall 7 but module 5.5 and filed under university catergory.
Sds has it own requirements

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
What are the chances with 6 in all modules under sds application??
IELTS is only one factor for visa approval. We do not know if there is any grading system or anything, you application is subject to visa officers discretion. Higher IELTS score is better, and for masters you will need to have a good IELTS score, so that you can prove to the visa officer that you can understand the classes in Canada.

Reactions: Emmanuelchris